S&W unfired .357 mag

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by pelswick42, Oct 1, 2011.

1. pelswick42

pelswick42 New Member

Recently my grandfather passed away and I was given a revolver that he had kept for years. This revolver is a Smith and Wesson .357 Magnum and it has never been fired, in mint condition. Under that model number it reads "Mod. 19-3. Even though I have no intention of selling or trading I would like to know exactly this firearm's value is.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

About $350-$450- the higher number is New-in-box, assuming you have the box and papers. VERY nice handguns. Some variation based on barrel length, target sights, etc.

3. bountyhunter

bountyhunter New Member

Out here mint condition 19 would be more in the $650 and up range (probably well up). K frames have really gone up recently and the 19 is a good one. I'd pay $600 in a blink. A 3" barrel is worth at least $100 more because of demand for that length.... I am still looking for one.

There is a used 19 snub (2") on Gunsamerica for $600:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/93702724...s/Full-Frame-Revolver/S_W_MODEL_19_37_MAG.htm

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

A NIB, 19-3 with box and papers would easily bring $750 and to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised to see it bring north of $1,000. Barrel length may affect this slightly one way or another but not dramatically. Yours still has the good stuff that collectors love and was lost two upgrades later in the 19-5.

Used 19s in good shape bring $5-700.

5. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I'm a bit of a S&W collector myself, and will agree with the $650+ figures that have already been given. I'd like to see a picture of it before I could tell you more. 19-3 will have the pinned barrel and recessed cylinder that most S&W collectors will go for. If the gun has the snubbed, 2.5" barrel then it will typically sell for a little more. I'd say the gun is easily worth $700 to $800 depending on the barrel length. I'm assuming the gun is blued, but if it were nickel then it might bring even more money. Unfired condition nickel guns are very collectible.

My advice, NEVER sell it and NEVER shoot it. It's made it this long without being shot, I would hate to be the one responsible for removing "unfired" as a description for the gun. Model 19s are easy to find, so if you find that you like the look and feel of the gun, then you can always buy a gently used shooter in the future while keeping that one in pristine condition.

6. bountyhunter

bountyhunter New Member

Actually, they are all fired at least one cylinder full at the factory.

7. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Yes, I'm aware of that. So are hundreds of other different guns, but they are still considered unfired and NIB.

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Well if y'all don't mind me slightly hijacking, how about the value on a 65-2 4" bbl? Stainless, no major blemishes, great condition, carried much and shot little? Worst blemish is a little holster wear, making smooth spot on top of matte finished barrel and top strap. Has pinned bbl and recessed cylinder.

I've heard they range from 200-600 depending on age and condition. I payed 350.

9. bountyhunter

bountyhunter New Member

I just wonder how they could tell the difference between fired six times and maybe 25 (?)

10. bountyhunter

bountyhunter New Member

One for sale here at $350:

Guns For Sale - Revolvers For Sale - S&W Model 65 -2 .357 Mag 6-shot SS used - Auction: 9620510 (Ended 04/03/2010, 10:00:54 PST)

11. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Only unfired guns I own were bought new from my old man and handed down to me. Might want to ask that question over at the Colt forum. Lots of high dollar collectors over there.

12. pelswick42

pelswick42 New Member

this weapon is not stub nosed. It is im guessing the 3 inch barrel, and its blue not nickel

13. bountyhunter

bountyhunter New Member

Measure barrel length from the front face of the cylinder to the tip of the barrel.

14. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Can't be a 3" and be a Model 19. Only options were 2.5", 4", and 6". If the gun was a Model 66 and the barrel was 3"'then you'd really have something valuable.

15. james56

james56 New Member

There were a number of 3" M-19's made in the K544672-K544721 ser. number range. Massachusetts State Police also tested some in the 3" Variation in the K622xxx Frist Production run. K544682 is thought to be lowest ser. numbered gun. This was a test gun for Mass. St. Police, and they were all round butts. There were also 3" M-19's made in two-tone (pintos). Very Scarce

Hope this helps as to 3" M-19's

16. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Never heard that about 3" 19s before, though it doesn't surprise me. It's not listed in any of my catalogs. It seems like S&W always has some kind of limited runs and model variations that slip under the radar. If it is a 3" 19, then I would say the price would be over $1000. 3" 66s are hard enough to find and bag a pretty high price tag, I can't imagine what the 3" 19 would bring.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  17. james56

james56 New Member

SCSW#3 Pages186 & 187. I've been researching this and looking for one for along time now.
    Hope this helps.

18. oldcoptn46

oldcoptn46 Member Supporter

I am always learning something new on this forum. If someone had asked me if there was 3" Mod. 19, I would have said, with some confidence that I was right, but just go look in "The Book" SCSW #3 and just like you said there it is. Thanks James for schooling an old man who loves S&W wheel guns.

19. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Here, here! :D

Seems the OP hasn't posted lately, so I wonder if he measured the barrel or what? I'd still like to see a photo of the gun.

20. oldcoptn46

oldcoptn46 Member Supporter

I was thinkin' maybe he was looking at 4" and sayin 3". Evidently 3" 19s exist but they are rare but you never can tell:D