S&W trade ins

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson Forum' started by robocop10mm, Jun 17, 2014.

1. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I spent four hours yesterday at GT Distributors in Austin working on some of the hundred or so 3rd generation Smith autos they aquired from an LE agency. Mostly 5906's and 6906's. The ones they could not get to function check properly were farmed out to me to "fix". I have attended the S&W armorers course on these guns and have worked on well over 200 of them over the years.

Triggers not picking up the hammer 100% of the time, stuck magazine releases, slide stops not stopping, etc. True to my experience, the #1 problem was fouling. These poor guns had NEVER been detail stripped. Wear was minimal, but varnish was the word for the day. I detail stripped and cleaned 13 and got them up and running. A couple had mainspring caps missing (parts on order). One was missing the mainspring entirely.

If you have ever wanted one of these classic pistols, they will be for sale at GT's soon.

I am going to take a couple of guns in trade for my time. I have a 1066 held with my name on it. There are a few 1st and 2nd generation guns in the mix. I am thinking about the one 645 I saw.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i'd love to have another 669 or 469!:D

3. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Tempting... Never owned a Smith Auto but they are on my bucket list... Right behind that Hi Power I've been dreaming of.

Tack

4. robocop10mm

I have now finished with 39 of them. Mostly fouling. A few with broken parts. I found a 5903 that looked like it had been run over by a tank. The frame was badly broken. Stripped it of all parts and used it as a donor gun. I have a few that need minor parts like the main spring cap or a sear spring, but all in all they seem pretty darn serviceable.

I have my 1066 set aside for them to enter into their FFL "book" so it can be transferred to me. I have not decided on what else to get. Maybe a 6906? Maybe I'll barter for a 65 or 66.

Many of these have been wholesaled out to Cabelas and Bud's, so keep your eyes open

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Wait a minute. Am I understanding this right? There were cops carrying non operational guns? There was actually a cop carrying a gun without a main spring in it? Tell me it ain't so!:eek:

6. robocop10mm

Could have come out of the armory after being red tagged. If you knew what jurisdiction this was, it would not surprise you. They had sme that had been converted to fire full auto! Confidentiality keeps me from telling you where they came from.

7. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

Darn, I had a pretty good guess as I used to work with a certain municipality that issued the 5906, though police officers were allowed to purchase their own weapon if they wanted to carry something else.

I wonder what they went to though. They were issuing S&W Model 10HB's before they went to the 5906, which I thought was an interesting switch.

8. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I have the S&W 915, from the same family. It's in my truck or at my desk at work. Dependable as the day is long, I suspect I'd have to stuff it with .45 ACP to make it jam. Great shooters for those of us not into the polymer scene

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Nice to get a couple S&W pistols in trade for your labor, RC10mm! I don't think you'll be sorry if you choose a 6906, it's a nice right-sized handgun. I got a recent manufacture 6906 trade-in from California DOC that had the typical holster wear but near pristine internally. I also got a trade-in 5906 (unknown agency) in similar condition, both from CDNN a few years back for around $350 and $300 respectively.

Later I stumbled on an older model 5903 that was LNIB with original cardboard box, papers and three magazines. Someone bought it then left it in the box for 20+ years so I couldn't walk away for $425.

Lately I've seen a lot of 5946 DA trade-ins at Cabelas at high prices, about $475. I guess the supply is drying up so people won't be getting the bargain prices of yesterday. For many years these fine pistols were a steal!

10. headhunter

headhunter Member

Have a 645, I'm very comfortable with. A rather large gun. It works well. Good luck!

11. robocop10mm

Got my compensation up to date. Taking guns instead of cash for my time. Three new additions to my over stocked safe.

5906, 1066, 66-3 2 1/2"

Attached Files:

12. jakebrake

jakebrake New Member

i'd love to bring home a 4506, or a 1006 (adjustable sights)...I assume they never showed up there?

13. robocop10mm

There was a 4506, but an employee snagged it before me. I already have a 4506 and a 1006. There is a 645 that is intersting

14. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Very Nice...

Who wouldn't want that gig?

15. AR10

AR10 New Member

Is the main difference between a 59 and 69, a smaller frame?

I have a 39, that never gets out of a safe. One of the guns I should send on down the road. Nice gun, just don't much care for single stack mags.

16. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Yes, 59's are 14 rd. 69's are 12 rd.,...my 439 is over 30 yrs old and I have a 569 that is almost as old,...

Sent from my iPhone using CC Firearms Talk

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

IIRC, the 39 was the single stack version and the 59 was the double or staggered round version. i think they were very similiar other than the width of the grip and the magazines.

18. robocop10mm

Axxe is correct. The 39 is a single stack. The 59 is a double stack. There was no 69. The second generation gave us the 439, 459, 659 and 669. The 669 was the cut down frame, short barrel double stack.

The top ends were essentially the same, save the 669 that had a shorter barrel.

The third gen guns opened the flood gates with DA/SA, DAO, Frame Decocker (ala Sig). Different frame materials (aluminum alloy and steel, both stainless and carbon steel). The model numbers get mind numbing in the 3rd gen guns.

19. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Member

Robo, I spent forty years with a California police department and included in my responsibilities was the armory and firearms training programs. I attended many S&W armorers schools on both revolver and auto and then of course retaking them to "maintain proficiency" as weapons were upgraded through the years I maintained an inspection program and every weapon was inspected by me at least on a quarterly basis thus avoiding the mess you have found your weapons to be in. I maintained a supply of parts and extra straight and arched grips so an officer could choose which was best for him/her, when I found a problem parts were on hand and the issue immediately corrected. I did remove a couple of unauthorized parts the user just had to put in to make it more reliable ( what could be more reliable than 5906-4006 family of pistols) but for liability purposes the pistols were maintained as issued. I took so many apart that it was just a blur during the inspection process. Loved my LE career but when I walked for the last time I never had the desire to go back to the building, probably could not get through today's security system anyway.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  20. robocop10mm

Your experience sounds very similar to mine. I did not have a budget for parts and made do.