S&W sw9ve to big to conceal?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by REDMIST89, Mar 26, 2012.

1. REDMIST89

REDMIST89 New Member

recently i stopped into a local lil gun shop to see about conceal holsters for my S&W sigma sw9ve..the owner,an older gentleman said that its a pretty big gun to conceal.now i looked up the sizes n well ik its not a tiny gun but it doesnt seem desert eagle or 44mag huge either so..is a sigma sw9ve too large to conceal carry? (im a taller skinny guy,who wears baggier clothing if that helps.

i currently cant afford to go n purchase a small carry pistol..so its either a dont carry(which i dont now due to not having the gun in my possesion at the moment) or just carry it..

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  2. sbitter

sbitter New Member

Idk personally but the place wear I bought my sw9ve the guy working there carried his and I didn't even see it on him till he said I love this gun this is one of my main guns I carry and he pulled it out I had no idea it was there. But I could of just been oblivious. Idk but that's all I got, hope that helps you out

3. REDMIST89

REDMIST89 New Member

it does honestly..im new to carrying and well dont want it obvious when i do.as the. The sheeple are well known to get scared at the sight of an armed individual who isn't law enforcement really..so i dont need to be doin my shopping at walmart or payin for gas n get some patron freaking or telling the store employees and hell breakin loose(cops involved,that whole process). so the fact that a sigma is concealable is a relief

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  4. fudo

fudo New Member

The Sigma is the same size as a Glock 19. I carry guns in pairs and I never had any problem carrying them concealed. The trick to successful CCW is to buy a dedicated gun belt and holster combo. A proper gun belt is heavy/stiff enough to support the gun, and a holster that doesn't allow the gun to move in the holster and keep it in place. There's nothing like reaching for your gun, and its not being where you put it to tighten up the sphincter.
    I am fond of the ones from Looper Leather, in Oklahoma City. they are kydex inside and leather outside, and they look like a dress belt. The Crossbreed IWB holsters are a favorite as well.

5. REDMIST89

REDMIST89 New Member

thank you,i only plan to carry one so i think i should be ok if i picked up the appropriate holster.

6. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Different people can carry different guns. Depends on body type, willingness to dress around your piece, local climate, etc. I believe that 95% of shooters can discretely carry 95% of guns with a barrel of 5" or less...provided they're motivated enough to wear appropriate attire. This is very much a case by case situation.

I sometimes carry a BHP (4.6" barrel) or an XDm45 (4.5" barrel, with a monster grip), but usually I opt for the convenience of a tiny PF9. I'm 6-0, 200lbs, with a slim/athletic build, and spend as much time as possible in jeans or shorts.

I'll bet you can carry that Sigma just fine. The question is, do you want to carry that gun? BTW- There is no wrong answer to that question.

7. REDMIST89

REDMIST89 New Member

im a 140lb/6ft slim/athletic build guy who wears baggier clothes as is(no not gangsta pants half way down my *** baggy)..so really conceivably i should be fine. and i do because,im aware its not a H&K or glock,or some 800+ $ gun but in shooting it,cleaning it etc ive gotten used to it n think itd serve me well in a situation. id like a GLOCK or a walther p99 because i love how they look,but dont wanna drop that much on a hand gun when i got my cars lol

8. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

One of the most popular carry guns is a Colt 1911. They are certainly big. Everyone is different they is no wrong answer. I open carry 90% of the time.

9. sbitter

sbitter New Member

How comfortable of a carry is a sw9ve does anyone happen to know? Cause I have thought about carrying and taking the coarse but never done it. And I keep wondering if it would just be a annoyance or if I wouldnt really notice it there

10. slim325

slim325 New Member

You should carry what u are comfortable with.It might take more than one holster purchase thoe.I carry a fullsize xdm45 4.5 mostly.Iwb holster bluejeans t shirt and a cover shirt or jacket.In summer if I'm wearing light shorts and a loose shirt its s&w air weight in a belly band.And it does take time to get comfy with it.

11. sbitter

sbitter New Member

Hmmm good to know thanks for the feed back

12. zuespiece420

zuespiece420 New Member

I have 2 sigma 40's and a xdm 3.8 40 all of them hi cap mags. I work in a convenient store I found that those are kind of heavy to carry all day and I've spent hundreds on holsters all types and brands. There good for a couple of hours but I wouldn't recommend a all day carry.

13. levelcross

levelcross New Member

A full size gun is harder to conceal but it is possible. I carry a full size Glock often, IWB in a hybrid style holster in jeans or shorts and a tee shirt during the summer with no problem. If printing is an issue try shirts with a pattern instead of solid colors. Carry position is also helpful but most people are oblivious to someone carrying unless it is printing severely.

Body shape and size also play as a factor for concealed carry so you may have to work to find a rig that works for you. Youtube has several good videos on different carry options, check them out and see what you think will work for you.

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

A loose shirt covers a lot. I know one guy that carries a Mak 10 45 with a 20 round mag concealed in a shoulder rig. He is built for it. I could not do it. He works in a gun shop. I carry a Ruger SR9c when I can or a Sig 238 when I cant dress to cover the larger gun. If my hand gets better, I may go back to the G36.

15. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

I am 120 lbs and 5'11" so Im kinda thin. I carry a full size CZ-85 on occasion. Yes I do have to dress around it but that doesnt really bother me. I also carry a CZ P-07 and just have to wear a large t-shirt instead of a medium to cover that. The P-07 is about the same size as the sigma so I figure your gun should conceal just as well. Personally I never trusted my sigma enough to carry so it is gone now but if you trust that gun carry it and you should be fine.

16. toledotim419

toledotim419 New Member

My first gun I bought when I got my ccw permit was a sw40 sigma. I carried it for 5 months in a galco stow n go holster with no problems! No one ever knew I was carrying. I now carry a Springfield xd sub compact 9mm the sigma is a little heavy and harder to conceal. I now use it as a bedside gun for home defense not a bad gun in my opinion..

17. sbitter

sbitter New Member

Yea I love my sigma it goes bang every time for me so I love it :) and its my first pistol I bought so it always makes me smile when I see it :)

18. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

I have carried 1911, Sig 220, and sig 226 .40 Also Model 15 & 19's in 4 inch CCW with no problem.

19. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If you cannot conceal a Sigma, you are not trying very hard. I appendix carry a 40C on a regular basis w/o any difficulty.

20. sbitter

sbitter New Member

Alright well I'm gonna do it, my as well do it so I can have it done