S&W SW1911PD 45 4.25 FS Black

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Jpyle, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Does anyone have any comments, experiences with this model. How does it compare to the Kimber Pro Carry, Springfield Mil-Spec/Loaded or other $900-$1,000 1911s. Don't expect Nighthawk or higher end Kimber or Colt performance but would not expect "entry level" features and performance either.

Not looking to turn this into a "looking for a 1911 which is best" kind of thread but would appreciate any suggestions. I am just beginning the window-shopping phase. The gun I am looking for will be used for range and possibly IDPA type shooting and HD. It will not be a carry piece, unless NJ wises up, so some of the sharp edge, clothing snag type issues won't really matter. Also, not looking for a beginner gun that will need upgrading and work before it's reliable.

Thanks for any and all input.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I shot Jo da plumber's S&W 1911 and it was a nice shooting pistol. The only problem that I have with S&W 1911's is that they have external extractors.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

i totally agree external extractor is da poop. my reasoning iss that they can bend and lead to failure to extract. seeit at the range a lot with older higher round count kimbers.

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Aren't external extractors the norm in a "true" 1911?

5. CA357

No, the internal extractor is the way God and John Moses Browning designed it.

However, it is the standard on that other sacred pistol, the Browning Hi Power.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Not on the JMB design. That was a FN addition.

Browning's Hi-Power didn't have an external extractor until 1963, 37 years after JMB died.

[​IMG]

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Well then who am I to question JMB or God for that matter. :)
    All else considered how big a "defect" is that. What comparable models would you suggest?

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

My pro carry has an external extractor and I've got several thousand rounds thru it without an issue. I have read that some Kimbers have problems with them which is why they went back to the internal, but some work great.

9. CA357

Thanks Cane, I stand corrected. I wouldn't want to besmirch J.M.B.'s name. ;)

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

its not so much a defect as a poor choice in making the product cheaper to manufacture. the main drawback is the choice of materials it is made of. kimbers are cheap in material quality and have issues with weak external extractors. in my opinion kimber is the yugo of 1911's. its just a fail point i personally wouldnt want in a ccw piece that has to cycle every time. whe im looking to buy a 1911 i skip over models with external extractors.

i REALLY like the colt products and springfield is a close second. ive got 2 colts a new agent and a new series 70. my springfield is a 1911-A1 milspec and ive got a 1944 ithaca 1911-A1. ive also got a kimber 22 conversion and its a pos.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

one other thing whether external or internal extractor, on any handgun, never drop a round in the chamber then close the slide to load it. this can break the extractor. always use a magazine to load a handgun.

12. tmoore912

tmoore912 New Member

If you choose to get the S&W 1911, you should be good to go with regards to the external extractor. S&W has been doing external extractors on their firearms for a very long time and have done a very good job on the 1911s with them. I would say buy with confidence.

On another note, I assume S&W 1911s get overlooked primarily because of the look of the external extractor and a lot of 1911 guys just don't want to buy one because of it. Good luck on your search.

13. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Took the plunge

Recently got to shoot a few different 1911s, placed an order for a Kimber Custom II...hope to have it in a few months. Yeah months...f'n NJ...:mad:

[​IMG]

14. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

The saga continues...with all the recent zombie sightings and fears of a real SHTF situation I decided to check on the status of my reserve order Kimber at Buds. To my dismay I was informed that an "accounting" error had resulted in several guns being alloted to multiple individuals and that I was being put at the top of the list for any inconvenience. Bud's representative was very apologetic and they handled the situation well and offered me some other goodies to make up for their error so I am, at least, satisfied with that. :(

Now my question, should I wait an indeterminate length of time for the Kimber or should I look for another model? What is comparable in quality and price to a Custom II? What is better and less expensive? I don't really have a preference for any brand, the gun will be 90% range use and some IDPA, if I ever get around to joining the local range that hosts it. Carry is not a requirement nor an option at this point anyway...

Thanks for any and all replies...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  15. stag1

stag1 New Member

Jon, why did you have to go and say that? I never understand people bashing things. And yes I own a Kimber, but I would feel the same way if that kind of blanket statement was said about any brand.

Sorry, this kind of stuff sticks in my crawl. Phew, I feel much better now :D

16. CA357

I guess I have a Yugo Pro Carry II now. :(

That's okay, I like it anyway. :)

17. freefall

freefall New Member

Me and The Lovely Mrs both are happy with our Yugo Compact Stainlesses. Glad I don't have the intellect to appreciate how miserable I ought to be...

18. bs369

bs369 New Member

S&W SW 1911PD 45 4.25 FS Black

I've carried a Pistol/revolver both on the "Job" and off. I have the the S&W "Gunsite model" I changed the sights so I can see them (74 years) to HiViz. Went to aluma grips for their smaller siz.....Also had the S&W do an action job....Just to make sure everything was good.
    Has digested all ammo I ever put into it....
    I can't see anything I would trade it for unless I got the bux to go up to the 2/3K coast customs guns...
    Try it you like it (S&W PD)

19. ajb

ajb New Member

S&W SW 1911PD 45 4.25 FS Black

Bass Pro has this on sale right now for $779.97, they say that is $200 off the regular price.

I have heard nothing but good reports on the S & W 1911s.

20. cswann1

cswann1 New Member

I read (in a couple of different places) that the LAPD SWAT team uses Kimber for their sidearm.
    I have a hard time thinking that a LE group such as that would use a "compromise" firearm.

On topic. I have no experience with 1911 handguns which brings me to this thread, however I tthink Smith & Wesson is a company you can be reasonably sure of to make a quality product. My "Glock-killa" M&P9 is flawless imo and with just a little TLC the already good trigger can be great.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011