S&W Sigma - Slide Moves Rearward When Pulling Trigger

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by danf_fl, Jul 10, 2020.

1. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

It seems that when trigger assembly is working the sear, the firing pin spring and the recoil spring are being compressed for about 1/8" to 1/4" and slide moves that much. Then the movement stops and with more rearward movement of the trigger, the sear releases.

It seems like there is something that allows the slide to move with the trigger bar assembly.

My concern is that with slide movement like that, the chamber is quick to release and the round will not be hit as hard as normal. Or possible reduced support for the round being fired.

I tried the pencil test (#2 Pencil place down barrel eraser first) and the resulting movement of the pencil was about 1" - 1 1/2".

Suggestions? Try a new trigger bar assembly?

2. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Send it to Smith

PeeJay1313 and Ghost1958 like this.

3. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Rule out improper assembly. Disassemble and put it back together. I am not familiar with the Sigma but if memory serves it’s much like a Glock.

danf_fl likes this.
  4. Pure-Precision

Pure-Precision New Member

Your recoil spring is being overpowered by the striker spring. If you have a lighter than OEM recoil spring or a heavier than *correct* striker spring, replace with correct weights. This is a common issue with guns that have had springs replaced in order to improve their trigger weights or cycle speeds.

danf_fl likes this.
  5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I replaced the sleeve for the firing pin assembly and things seem to work correctly.

Rifling82 likes this.