S&W Sigma Series

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by 97cobra, Feb 21, 2012.

1. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

My boss at work wanted a m&p in .357 sig but found out S&W discontinued them and he would have to pay for shipping and transfer fee if he ordered one. So he decided on a 40 sigma series because of cost.

What I'm getting at is how are the sigma series pistols? I havent heard much on them at all and I'd like to give him some of y'alls helpful advice.

2. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

They're fine guns for under $300.

Any more than that, and there are better options to be had IMO.

3. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

Thanks guys. I'll think about searching the forum first one of these days.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

Heck with that, we're here now!!
    Sigma's run. The trigger sucks. There's really not much else to say about them.
    Kind of like a Hi Point and GLOCK, people either love them or hate them, but even the people that love them will tell you pretty often that the trigger sux.

It does go bang when the trigger is pulled though.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Google works much better, try this the next time;

> sigma site:firearmstalk.com <

If I am looking for a post I did with Tripp 1911 mags I type;

> canebrake Tripp 1911 mags site:firearmstalk.com <

Try it, it puts the FTF search function to shame!

6. Brennan16

Brennan16 New Member

Yup. The trigger sucks. You REALLY have to get used to the heavy trigger pull in order to get accurate with it. You can reduce the pull by removing the piggyback spring but it's still pretty heavy after that.
    I have a friend who is selling one with a carbon fiber Serpa holster and 2 mags with some ammo for $300.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

7. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

That does work great. I never would have guessed that

8. tpap583

tpap583 New Member

The s&w sigma is not under lifetime warranty through s&w. I was told the sigma is not claimed unless its "in a commercial or a movie." The s&w SD is under lifetime, my uncle just bought it and it a decent gun. I'm partial to the m&p family, they've treated me well.

9. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

I'm not a fan of the Sigma. Had one in 40 and sold it. The trigger is heavy and made it inaccurate. Also had major feeding and ejecting issues with both mags. I gave up and don't miss it. I love my Ruger SR9c so much more than the Sigma.

10. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Yep...what trip said. Mine is accurate, reliable, has yet not to go bang....limousine trigger pull (long and heavy).

11. Prime83

Prime83 New Member

The trigger is set heavy due to there not being a safety it has the pull of a revolver

12. tpap583

tpap583 New Member

That's messed up! Why would anyone want a gun with no safety but a heavier trigger pull. If its for safety issues then maybe you should look into getting a firearm with a safety. I'm no trying to sound like an a** at all, maybe you can enlighten me.

13. hossman

hossman New Member

Had one, trigger sucked, sold it. My good friend bought one at the same time and loves it. To each his own.

14. Prime83

Prime83 New Member

From my understanding when the gun was introduced it was aimed toward police officers who where just switching from revolvers to semi-auto pistols so they would still have that revolver feel of a trigger and don't forget the revolver didn't have a safety either

15. tpap583

tpap583 New Member

I could see where transitioning from one to the other would be helpful. Thanks for the insight.

16. Brennan16

Brennan16 New Member

And Glock sued Smith & Wesson for copying their designs when the Sigma hit the market.

17. Prime83

Prime83 New Member

This is true they settled out of court

18. Brennan16

Brennan16 New Member

Not many people know that

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

I knew about it. I though it was a bit of overreach. I figured GLOCK wanted to completely corner the market on polymer frame pistols, so decided to make an example of another maker.

I really don't know all the details though.