S&W Sigma Series

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by mudslinger79, Mar 30, 2010.

1. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

I've been finding really great deals on these and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. I'm looking at the .40 caliber in particular. I like the stainless slide and. That its S&W.

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Nice reliable guns, can be had very cheap, better ergo's than Glock, and a horrible trigger. There are fixes on the interwebz for making the trigger better (they helped some on the 2 I had) but this is still the breaking point for me.

Shihan will be by shortly to exclaim the Sigma's virtues...

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The Sigma was designed to mimic the D/A trigger pull of a revolver. They did a pretty good job of that. It is not a competition level pistol. It is a reliable inexpensive firearm that will certainly suffice for defensive work. I carry one on a daily basis (older S&W 40C).

Some will find the trigger attrocious. I find it tolerable. There is little or no chance of a negligent discharge. I have shot mine enough to be able to shoot 12 ga hulls at 25 yards.

4. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

Green Top is offering either the 9mm or .40 for $349.99! On top of that you get a $50.00 mail in rebate plus a $50.00 Green Top gift card.

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Let me get this straight - you carry a Sigma? I nearly fell out of my chair when I read that. Nothing against them (except the trigger) but I'm really surprised you'd choose one of these for carry...

6. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

I'm looking for a mid to full size .40 cal. The sigma looks nice and I'm a stainless kinda guy.

7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Be advised again that the trigger is bad and the resale value is worse. If you're sure you want one, go ahead, but if you decide it isn't for you in the future - it'll be tough to recoup your investment. A thread from a while back:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/low-trade-sigmas-24570/?highlight=sigma

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  8. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

If you're getting into a new Sigma for $300 or less (and they are out there for that), you won't get hit too hard if you decide to sell it. I've seen several sell used recently for around $250. It's the folks that paid a bit more and are expecting to recoup $400 that are really disappointed.

I just don't think you can go wrong with a Sigma for under $300. If nothing else, it seems like the ideal, often abused, "truck gun".

9. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

The trigger on the Sigma is just awful, IMO. If you're looking for a cheap, reliable, and durable gun, the Ruger P-series is probably worth a look. They have aluminum frames, so they are a bit heavier than the Sigmas, but they'll take as much abuse as you can throw at 'em and not suffer for it.

10. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

I have a Ruger P95 and love it.

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Yup! I cannot find a kydex holster for my 1006 so I only carry it in uniform (with 4 spare mags). I used to carry an STI 2011 but my agency decided we could not be trusted with single action autos :mad:. I got the 40C directly from S&W after I completed the Armorers school. $340 with night sites and two spare hi-caps was a price I could not pass up. I have a 9V ($259 new)at the house. It has never given me a hiccup.

12. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I believe I just felt the orbit of the Earth shift a little...

13. jackg

jackg New Member

mudslinger,
    I had a Sigma 9mm and as everybody has said already the trigger is a bit sticky. I sent it back twice for work but it really never got where I wanted it to so I sold it to a small gun shop for $150. I ordered a Glock 19 to replace it and the trigger is great. I switched out the 5 lb. trigger for a 3.5lb with the quick re-set, it's awesome.
    With Sigma's trigger I never knew where the break point was but Glock has no problem. Otherwise they are pretty much the same gun.
    Jack

PS: It's a gun without a future, it's reputation is widely known and I guess you could call it the "EDSEL" of the semi-automatic handgun world.
    Jack