S&W sigma/glock question-warning>NOT a bashing thread!

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by REDMIST89, May 26, 2012.

1. REDMIST89

REDMIST89 New Member

ok 1st off this is not a bashing thread of glocks,im just looking for a lil info..so glock fans can put away the pitch forks and nooses and torches :D

when i got my sigma last year and read up a lil i read some things stating that the sigma was a S&W copy of the glock at the time in 94(i think)..and im honestly curious how true this is? mines the sw9ve if that is needed info.

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Glock did indeed successfully sue S&W over the Sigma. The Sigmas of old had pretty decent triggers akin to a DA revolver (with a good trigger). The newer Sigmas have God awful triggers akin to a rusty old POS revolver. I have a .40 C and a 9 V. The .40 has about 5000 rounds through it, is VERY accurate and shoots like a dream. The 9 is noticeably heavier trigger. It still shoots very well, but is more difficult to shoot WELL. The grip of the S&W is far superior to the Glock (IMHO), but the Glock has more aftermarket parts availability. I would not give you $300 for a new Sigma, but I would not take $500 for my 40 C.

3. Zodiac131911

Zodiac131911 New Member

A friend ordered a glock 3.5 trigger kit and everything matched up it now shoots a lot better. The main I don't like about new sigma's is the flimsy plastic rod in the recoil spring

4. oli700

oli700 New Member

How come ? have you ever seen a broken rod ?

5. REDMIST89

REDMIST89 New Member

yes im curious about this as well now that you bring it up

6. Zodiac131911

Zodiac131911 New Member

No I haven't broken a rod I just don't trust it. It doesn't take much pressure to make it flex.

7. Garadex

Garadex New Member

I actually broke the rod on mine. I had disassembled the gun and the piece that holds the spring on the rod flew across the room and when I found it it would not go together w/o flying apart.

8. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

The Sigma I've shot was identical but I've been told that the Sigma has been discontinued and that Smith is going to focus on the more expensive and better quality M&P line so if you see a sigma and want a cheap 40 cal glock like weapon, I'd grab it. I think it sucks though, I'd like to see budget firearms from all the vendors but it seems Smith is returning to a business model for high end firearms (this is opinion, nothing concrete) with the re-introduction of the 586 and stopping the Sigma production it seems.

9. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Look before asking here try to GOOGLE the question . I own both too.

10. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

In january i bouht the sw9ve. 1500 rds through it with no problem. All sorts of ammo and it worked fine. Very accurate once/if u master that long trigger pull. It did however leave small bruises on my right thumb knuckle from the recoil. O did shoot those 1500 rds within 2 months so that could have something to do with it. I recently upgeaded to a G19. IMO Glocks grip is far superior and the recoil is alot less. For financial reasons i had to sell my Sigma.. it was a very gud gun, great for beginners. It cant beat a Glock though, but what can??? Lol to answer your question, yes glock sued and won in the 90's. The guns take down and function are almost identical. G19 does carry better as it is a little lighter and shorter. Hope this helps.

11. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

I have two friends with Sigmas. One a 40, the other a 9. Both complained about the trigger, and in fact when I shot the 9 I found it to be a very heavy pull. A local smith in a gun store put up a sign that he would re-work the trigger for $40. Both guns were subsequently re-worked. I have since shot the 9, and it is like shooting a new gun. Much more crisp trigger, and a significantly lighter pull. I believe it is between 5 and 6 pounds now.

I know the guy with the 9 probably has over 5000 rounds trhough the gun, and is much happier with it now. He did have to replace the return spring and ejecter recently, but that could be standard maintenance.

With the re-worked trigger they seem like a good buy for someone who needs a gun and has a limited budget to work with.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

The only purpose a guide rod serves is to keep the recoil spring from kinking. Unless there is abnormal rubbing its not an issue if its plastic. If its rubbing you got other issue with an out of spec gun.