s&w sigma .40

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by tacticalfun, May 5, 2012.

1. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Sighting my friends sigma. This thing is junk.

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Sounds like you need some practice with it . :rolleyes:

3. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

Hmmm i disagree. Yes the trigger sucks and takes some training but my Sigma .40 was reliable as all get out. Various brands of brass and Russian steel cased ammo, it ate all of it. Once i got the trigger down, she was very accurate. I had 1500 rounds down the pipe when i sold it. Junk is not how i would describe it, more like "stubborn & unique" :D

4. tacticalfun

I dont like the internal striker and the body feels like a light wind will destroy it

5. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

So because you don't like the way it feels it's junk? :confused:

6. tacticalfun

Theres no safety (that i can find) the firing pin/ pin is poorly made. I can visibly see machining marks on the inside. Its very top heavy. The sights are low quality...im not comparing it to an 800$ gun. But IMO the eaa or ruger for the same price would be a better buy.

7. tacticalfun

.* firing pin/spring

8. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

Ok, that's a better justification for the junk statement. That's too bad, i've always been a fan of S&W revolvers and assumed their autos would be of equal quality. Maybe your buddy got an odd one out?

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Honestly there have been a few s&w auto models that I have not been a fan of either.

10. tacticalfun

Im not used to the sigma series. I have a full size m&p 40 that i love.

11. kycol

kycol New Member

I am certainly no Sigma fan. I bought one from a guy at work who was needing some money. I shot about three or four rounds the day I bought it, took it home and put it away. A couple years later I took it to the range, don't know why but had some kind of. Malfunction that appeared than the round fired before the bullet had fully chambered. I stopped immediately when I got home did clean and inspect. Couple weeks later took it back on the 3rd mag it happened again but worse. It blew the mag completely out, and blew a large piece of the frame out just above my hand and cracked the frame on the other side as well. An email and call to S&W resulted in a I can't help you your not the original owner. Now I know S&W makes some fine guns, the sigma in my opinion is not one. But the way I was treated by their CS I will never ever own another one.

12. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

That's crappy of them! Not many people treat you like hi point! Say what you want about their guns... but noone can talk about their warranty! Glad you weren't hurt!

13. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I've got a Sigma 9mm and I love it. No problems yet, but I've only put a few hundred rounds down range. I shoot good with it, and I am now used to the trigger.

Its accuracy and quality are about the same as my friends Glock 22.

I am sorry to hear about y'all having problems. Guess there is a lemon out of every bunch..

14. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

I bought a Sigma .40 about 3-4 yrs. ago. Had good experience with their customer service. It's not my favorite handgun, but for dependability and price it's been a good buy. It took a while for me to get used to shooting it with any kind of accuracy, but I was determined to master it. The .40 round is quite snappy in such a light handgun IMO and I think that was part of my initial problem (recoil management). I got a Hogue slip on rubber grip and my shooting got a lot better. It ate every thing I fed it.
    Sorry to hear about your experience and glad you didn't get hurt.

15. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Where did you get that grip? Can I have some info plz? I've been thinking of putting one on my sigma 9.

16. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

I got mine at a LGS, but I'm sure Midway has them. The grip is just a slip over the existing grip on the pistol (rubberized). Pachmyer and another company (I've forgotten the name) make them. Sorry, just dumped a lot of my old gun photos out of my computer. You can also got to the S&W forum. They have a section dedicated to the Sigma and have many photos.
    I had to do a little trimming on mine.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  17. oli700

oli700 New Member

I have a little different story. My mom bought my dad a Sigma 9 . He hated it, so in order for him to have one he likes I traded him a P89 for it.
    I liked it but hated the trigger. I gave it a backyard trigger job but rounded the edge of the striker hook so it started giving light strikes. You can’t buy a new striker because its factory install only. I called S&W and told them what I did and I wasn’t the original owner …..told them the story.
    They sent me a prepaid label for shipping, fixed it and had it back to me in two weeks no charge. They left the sear I had polished correctly. I installed a 4# Glock striker spring and now the trigger is much nicer. The gun is actually very accurate and reliable, now it sits under the coffee table…..waiting.

18. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

A Sigma 9mm was my first gun. For $300 brand new it was a very good investment. Yes tough trigger, and a little heavy when fully loaded, but it.never did me wrong. 1500 rds of all different ammo and NOT ONE problem. I got more accurate as time went on. My buddy who has been shooting for years was very accurate with it. 2-3 inch groupings at 7 yards. I did sell it in order to get my G19, but it was a very good, simple, reliable starter gun.

19. mt232

mt232 New Member

I love my sigma, never had a problem with it. Did a little trigger job to lighten the pull on, won't carry it that way though I just use it as a range gun.