S&W sd40

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson Forum' started by cml1, Feb 17, 2013.

1. cml1

cml1 New Member

I have just recently bought a new sd40 and I've only put about 50 rounds through it but I've had a few problems with it. It will partially load the bullet into the chamber but then it hangs. With a little force on the slide it goes right in. My local gunsmith only said to put more rounds through it to "break it in". Any better advice?

2. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

Typically guns do need to be broken in. Some say put 200 rounds through, others say more.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I'll add try different ammo to this good advice. Your gunsmith sounds like he knows what he is talking about.

4. cml1

cml1 New Member

Thanks for the link ill check that out. I have also tried different ammo. From high grain JHP to the average .40 cal FMJ it all seems to do the same thing. The only problem with "breaking it in" is that ammo is so rare to come by around here.

5. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

Amen to that. Its difficult finding any ammo but the only ammo I can find around here is 40s&w, and even that can be hard to come by.

6. Ruger_Nut

Ruger_Nut New Member

I'm a member on a S&W forum and see this subject come up there every now and then. S&W asks the owner to send it to them. They pay for shipping, there and back through FEDX.

7. cml1

cml1 New Member

True! I try to buy and hold onto what little ammo I can find. Also the casings seem to be getting gouged or scratched very badly. I noticed this when I was cycling the gun to try to diagnose the issue. The scratches go all the way down the casing and are very bad around the lip of the primer... Not sure if this is an issue it's just something that I noticed.

8. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

Ruger nut is probably correct. I'm sure s&w will take care of it.

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Now that sounds like good cause for sending it in. Just keep in mind you may not see your gun again for weeks.

10. cml1

cml1 New Member

Yea that's why I haven't sent it in yet as its my only carry gun at this time I was trying to get it fixed around here. Is this a normal issue with the sigmas? Thanks for all the help!!

11. Ruger_Nut

Ruger_Nut New Member

Read the private message I sent you.

12. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I wouldn't be carrying it with the issue you are having. Reliability is key.

13. Ruger_Nut

Ruger_Nut New Member

Very well said. I was going to post something similar.

14. cml1

cml1 New Member

I read your msg thanks for the link ill check it out when I get off. I agree about the reliability but when choosing this gun I assumed that with a name like S&W that it would be reliable. I'm debating on just getting rid of the problem instead of trying to fix it.

15. Ruger_Nut

Ruger_Nut New Member

NO NO NO, don't get rid of it! I'm telling you, S&W can fix it!

16. cml1

cml1 New Member

That's why I'm debating it. I love the gun out of all the handguns that I have owned this is my favorite by far as far as looks, feel, trigger pull, over all. I will defiantly check into sending it back

17. vector16

vector16 New Member

polish the feed ramp. That is all you need to do. Use some 600 grade sand paper and the eraser end of a pencil. Make all the score lines go in the same direction of the barrel as if a round was sliding into it. You don't really want to take any metal off, just make the score marks run parallel to the barrel. This will do the same as breaking in the gun for 500 rounds.

18. Ruger_Nut

Ruger_Nut New Member

Yeah, right. Like that's really going to help. :D

19. vector16

vector16 New Member

Something like when your girl polishes your ______ doesn't it get shiny. LOL. There was a few other people on the S&W site that had this issue. It does do wonders, If your into that sort of thing.

How many times had I messed with tbhis sort of gun R_N? The SD and Sigma is the same gun, just a lighter tigger trigger pull and a better looking slide.

Don't do anything this joker tell you to. He totally relies on the make of the gun for every little thing. Why send your gun in and not see it for 3-10 weeks when it uis so simple to take care of yourself and it will only take 20 minutes. If this your carry gun, its probably your only gun. Don't give it up for something so simple.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013