S&W SD40 Trigger

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by rferguson61, Dec 24, 2012.

1. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

My dad has a S&W SD40 that i took apart and cleaned. I thought they have a DA trigger. After in put the side back on and pull the trigger the hammer releases...but then i pull the trigger again the hammer doesn't fall. Am i miss remembering?

2. BWilder

BWilder New Member

the sd40 is striker fired.

3. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

Soooo to sound like a tard....meaning?

4. Garadex

Garadex New Member

It is basically a single action with a long heavy pull. When a round is chambered it partially cocks it and the trigger pull fully cocks and then releases the firing pin. It results in a better than double-action only trigger but worse than a single-action trigger.

5. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

But every pull of the trigger should cause the striker to fall? Even without the slide being moved?

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The reciprocating action partially cocks the striker. Few striker fired guns allow a second strike on the same cartridge. Many makers call their striker fired guns "double action" or "double action only". To me this is a serious misnomer. The term double action refers to a mechanism that can be fired two different ways; manually cocking (with your thumb) or trigger cocking (think Smith and Wesson revolver). They have used a term familiar to shooters to describe the "feel" of the trigger, when technically it is incorrect.

7. Garadex

Garadex New Member

As said it partially cocks when the slide closes after cycling.

8. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

No ammo , rack the slide ,pull the trigger one time, rack and repeat, again No DA trigger

9. AdamSean

AdamSean New Member

Striker fired pistols are considered DAO. Like the Glock. Personally, I prefer striker fired pistols for self defense use.

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

And I think the term DAO is a misnomer. Double Action is TWO actions. DAO is ONE action. It is an attempt to simplify the naming process like calling all Armalite pattern rifles "AR-15's"