S&W Revolver

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by fcbmgb, Apr 7, 2010.

1. fcbmgb

fcbmgb New Member

We need some help to identify this revolver it belonged to my great great grandfather and I do not know the caliber or what year it is we have been told it is thought to be between 1901 and 1919. :) any help is appreciated!! I am uploading the best pics I could get of the gun. DSCN2769.jpg DSCN2768.jpg

2. fcbmgb

fcbmgb New Member

The numbers shown on the gun are F.R.P. No. 65 3819xx

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I wish you well with your search. It's a handsome revolver.

4. fcbmgb

fcbmgb New Member

Thank you very much!!

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The pic is a little blurry and there is not much info there...
    What is at the top of the grips? Is it S&W?
    What are the barrel markings? Does it say "Smith and Wesson" or does it say ".38 (or .32) Smith and Wesson cartridge"?
    It looks like a Smith, but this was one of the most often and quite shamelessly copied firearms in history. More info and clearer picture needed.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

It appears to be a 3rd model double action revolver. Should be chambered for .38 S&W (not .38 S&W Special).

It looks to be in remarkably good condition. There are a BUNCH of these floating around, but not many in that kind of condition. 95+% condition will significantly raise the value.

7. CA357

I have a S&W catalog, but I need more information to find it.

8. fcbmgb

fcbmgb New Member

What type of info do you need CA357?

9. Dragonheart

Dragonheart New Member

S & w ?

It looks like a turn of the century 1900 Smith & Wesson, but it if it is is should be plainly marked. Most of those small revolvers were either chambered in .32 or .38 Smith & Wesson (not 38 special). I have a couple of them in the safe, but I haven't looked at them in years. They are not worth a lot, mainly just a novelty because there are a lot of them out there. Yours appears to be in excellent condition.

10. CA357

Any rollmark information on there should help me locate it. (I hope)

11. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

I've seen these floating around at gun shows. I bought a break-top in 38s&w so I could have some fun reloading for it and quick draw tournements if I can find any in the future.
    I found a page that might be some help.

Smith & Wesson Handguns

It sounds like number 3 is your revolver. I'm assuming its a 5 shot revolver because most of that time were. If you have anymore info it would be easier to narrow it down to what you have.
    While not catching a high price on the market, the break-tops are fun to have and if you can afford one I hear Uberti break-tops are pretty good guns.

12. superc

superc Member

I agree with 3rd model. Possibly in .32 S&W but most likely in .38 S&W (no relation at all to 38 S&W Special so please don't try that).