S&W Question

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Lightbourne, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Lightbourne

Lightbourne New Member

I recently came across this nice 38 but can't decipher the serial number or stamps. Any help is greatly appreciated.

ForumRunner_20131014_202623.jpg

2. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Looks to me like it is stamped model 16. Have a pic of the whole gun? also. Serial number is on the bottom of the butt

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Hard to tell from the glare, but if it is a .38 Special 5 shot J-frame it should be a model 36

4. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

I zoomed in on the image the best I could and it appears to be a model 36 from what I see. The serial number would be on the bottom of the butt, the numbers underneath the model number are just numbers the they used to help identify the firearm during manufacturer........if you want to know more about Smith & Wesson's, check out http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php

5. Lightbourne

Lightbourne New Member

Yep, model 36. Here are fresh pics. Do they offer any other info?

ForumRunner_20131025_190710.jpg

ForumRunner_20131025_190810.jpg

ForumRunner_20131025_190810.jpg

I took it to the gunsmith to have the hammer bobbed to prevent a snag out of the pocket and he said to lock it up and never modify. What do you kind folks think?

6. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

You mean lock it up as a family jewel? It isn't rare or collectible.

7. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

I'm not sure what he mean's by locking it up. If he meant in a safe somewhere, I'd say it isn't that collectible IMHO. I personally would go to the S&W form i posted the link to, go to the appropriate section of 1961-1980 revolvers and post the question there about the hammer. A lot more people who specialize in S&W guns there. Personally I'd just shoot it as she is and enjoy it and not worry about the hammer snagging any clothes. I carry my model 30-1 and never have a problem snagging on my clothes.

8. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Depends on your mode of carry. OWB, IWB, no problem. Pocket carry is what makes snagging relevant. If the hammer snags on a draw, you won't forget it.

9. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

I would say, use it but don't muck it up with a bobbed hammer.

Find another S&W that has the internal or shielded hammer if you feel you need a J-frame that way.

I hate to see these modified. You probably will also after a while.

10. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I'm not a fan of bobbed hammers. I sometimes carry a 637 in a blackhawk size 3 pocket holster. No issues with it snagging the hammer...So far anyway.:)

As for your 36, I don't think it's some rare gun but it's hard to say. Maybe it's got something special to it. Maybe your gunsmith just don't like bobbing hammers.

11. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

If it were me, and I was worried about snagging the hammer, I'd see about getting a different gun for EDC use. Then again I'm not going to modify an older firearm like that, as I feel it is worth more being left factory.

12. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 Active Member

You got a good one..

You got a nice Model 36 there..One of the most popular carry guns EVER!!..

If that was MY carry gun, I would go over to GunBroker.org and buy a hammer, either a bobbed one, or bob it yourself. Save the orginal hammer to put back in your Model 36, if you would want to sell it.

I have a Model 36 that I replaced the hammer+trigger with Stainless, to give it that 'Custom' look. Add a lighter mainspring, and rebound spring+polish the action+you will be good to go..Bill.;)

13. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

There are three used S&W J-frame hammers on eBay for under $20, right now. One has already been bobbed. Search for: smith wesson j-frame hammer

There is also one new hammer a dreamer wants $90, plus shipping for.

There are quite a few used parts showing up on eBay again. There are a few folks who are buying police destroyed guns, on revolvers the frame is cut in two pieces, and parting them on eBay. I have managed to get a couple of sights, and a barrel recently.

14. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The S&W Mdl. 36 is an outstanding small revolver. I disagree that there is no collectors value in your 36. You have an early Pinned model 36. These guns bring a premium over non-pinned models. I would not dehorn the little Smith. They have been used for years without a problem. :)

15. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

i did not know it is pinned, or whether it makes a difference. But I defer to those who do. Gunbroker be the judge.