S&W or Ruger?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Ammosmoke, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Ammosmoke

Ammosmoke New Member

So i'm turning 21 in December and i'm planning on going and buying my first handgun then, I want to get a revolver and i'm definitely going .357mag. I have been looking at either a Ruger GP141 or a Smith and Wesson model 627 and I can't decide on one over the other. Is there anybody whoes fired either one and can comment on them? Or are there any other suggestions for a good .357?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I would keep an open mind and purchase the first of either one when the time comes and the price is "right".

3. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I believe the 627 will give you two more rounds in the cylinder than the Ruger will. I just bought a 627 Performance Center and it should be in by the end of the week. I will post some photos for you to look at.

Ruger makes a tough and reliable revolver. I've just never been crazy about all the lawyer disclaimers on their guns. I would rather have an older S&W revolver any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

4. Mandy

Mandy New Member

I can comment on the 686 and the SP101, both are excellent guns and the GP100 is like a SP101, but with 6 rnds.

Get one of each and you'll be happy............

5. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

shootin' from the hip...

Ruger for SA
    S&W for DA

i love the .357mag platform. wide variety of ammo and can shoot .38spl to boot. I have a Ruger Blackhawk and Marlin 1894C in .357mag.

6. Dennis845

Dennis845 New Member

S&W 686 plus, .357, with CT laser grips. One round for each day of the week. Great home defense and target gun. Ruger is also a good choice. When I can get the wife her fourth job, in between cooking, cleaning, cutting grass, etc. I'll get me a Ruger too ;)
    Bed Buddy.jpg

7. OC357

OC357 New Member

Either the Ruger or the Smith are both fine revolvers and .357 is a very versitile caliber. When it comes to revolvers, magnums rule.

Just my opinion.

OC

8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

There is no wrong answer to this.
    Personal preference and/or price will be the big issues. Quality will not.
    I have a 627 PC and it's been a great revolver. I've been keeping an eye out for a Security Six 6" stainless, just because I like them. I don't believe they can be worn out by the average shooter.

9. Reaper61

Reaper61 New Member

I got a S&W 629 with a 4 " barrel .357 mag and it is a solid handgun, shoots great. Cant say about Ruger havent shot them yet.

10. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Are you sure it's a 629 and not a 627? I believe 29s and 629s were .44 Mags. The 27s and 627s were .357s.

11. Reaper61

Reaper61 New Member

Typo on my part. Good catch brother!

12. OC357

OC357 New Member

357 and 44 magnums are by far the best and most versitile calibers you can get in a revolver and both the Smith and Ruger mentioned are fine choices. The only other thing I can say is to keep the barrel length to a 4" minimum.

Just my opinion.

OC

13. cappaletti

cappaletti New Member

stick with Ruger...IMHO ur paying for the name S&W...:cool:

14. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

I have always leaned toward S&W. I have Model's 15,19,586,6906 & 340PD

15. XR750

XR750 New Member

I'm old school I like S&W K&N Frames. But I have owned a few Ruger and I have gotten my moneys worth with every Ruger I have owned.
    So it depends on what your going to use the gun for. If it will used on the job IE carried a lot then I would go for the Ruger unless I could find a good used S&W Mod 66. If I was going to fire a lot of hot .357 loads then I would get a S&W N frame the larger frame will help absorb the recoil.
    If I was going to carry it and shoot it a lot the a S&W L frame the best of easy carry and wieght. And with the L and N frame S&W you get and extra couple of rounds.
    Joe-R

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  16. Mick_Dagon

Mick_Dagon New Member

I own a S&W .357 and I've fired a Ruger as well. I can advise you to go for the S&W. The handling is so much smoother than the Ruger.

17. jismail

jismail Member

I have owned the Ruger GP100 and currently have the S&W 681. The Ruger felt big in my hand - but comfortable - and the S&W feels a bit thinner to me. When I was thinning out my gun locker to make room for other guns, it was the Ruger I decided to get rid of over the S&W. Both fine guns, but the S&W had a bit better feel to me and - heck - you cant go wrong with a S&W as your choice.

18. exiledtoIA

exiledtoIA New Member

try them both and see which one feels better. i like S&W but the security six and the GP100 both sit better in my hands so i use a GP100.
    Both companies make good revolvers it will come down to personal preference.

19. onenut58

onenut58 New Member

The ruger is a tough gun capable of handling hotter loads than the smith and wesson so if you reload and plan on hot loads you will see in the manuals ruger only loads.The rugers are heavier and the fit and finish are not as good and the triggers are not as smooth but can be smoothed up pretty easy.
    The newer smith and wessons have the mim parts and locks despised by many smith and wesson collectors but scandium frames and extra shots in the cylinder attract newer buyers not familiar with the older six shot smith and wessons like the K frame model 19 and 66 and L frame 686 and N frame versions in model 28 and 27.That all used forged parts.

20. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I own an equal number for both, no 44 mags in Smith yet though. I can say that the Smith&Wesson 28-2 I just got is very similar across the broard of categories to the GP100. My model 19 and 66-1 are amazing shooters, too bad I can't bring myself to carry them on a daily basis. The sp101 and GP100 are both great and a must is night sights