S&w mp15 sport

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by kymike, May 1, 2012.

1. kymike

kymike New Member

I've been checking out an s&w mp15 sport at the gun shop. Done research on them and they seem like they are good rifles. About the only things I've read that people don't like is it doesn't have a dust cover, not many rifles do so don't see a need for it. The other thing is that it doesn't have the forward assist. I could see where this would be nice to have but have read that you can just close it with your finger. If anyone has one of these please let me know your thoughts about it. Also wondering if you can deck them out.

si vis pacem para bellum.

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

It's a good AR for $600 (better than most at that price point) and you can upgrade it just like the big boys.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

Dust covers i like because it keeps junk out of the action. Not important on a range gun but it is on a working gun. Especially if its a ranch gun or your dragging it around camping or sleeping outdoors for whatever reason.

Forward assist to me not being there is a plus. I prefer slickside reciever but those are hard to find. Forward assist just gets in the way and increases weight. I feel the same about those ridiculously huge charging handle latches just something else to get hung up on stuff.

The mp15 isnt on my radar but ive never heard anything truly horrid about them

4. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I bought one as my first AR last may and love it. Very accurate and reliable, especially for the price I paid. I put a Yankee hill rail on it and it was money

5. leftoverture

leftoverture New Member

I just bought an M&P 15 Sport. Awesome gun for the money. Just buy it. You won't be disappointed.

6. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Nether item is a big deal in the real world ,even many guys severing our country will say they don't close the doors. You will be hard pressed to find any ar that can shoot with the sports for many more dollars too. Just a good solid rifle for the money.

7. JPenn856

JPenn856 New Member

I'm looking at the m&p sport as well. I can't seem to find any negatives on it. Very one says either dust covers are useless or they like to keep junk out of the bolt. But how much junk does it really keep out? They don't have a perfect seal, most have a space somewhere where the metal clip attaches to the release button on the door. I understand the idea, but I just don't see an apparent use for it.

8. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

i own one....great gun so far. imo it seems to be one of the best AR bargains out there. finding them for $600 happens, but isn't common (then add ship, ffl, checks). the average price is probably about $650. i (over)paid $679, cause i could only find them in stock at one place. i think people are catching on to the great value of this gun. even though i overpaid a bit, i have no regrets....good gun.

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I question the intelligence/experience of folks who say say ejection port covers are useless. Instead I'd talk to soldiers and marines - or anyone who needs to keep the action clean. You might even look at a post in this thread above yours:

Anyway, figure out which applications pertain to you and buy what works for you. If you do get a dust cover I suggest closing it during a sandstorm.

10. dirtysancho

dirtysancho New Member

I am an infantry Soldier, the only time you use a dustcover is on the fob when your not in a firefight. If you think about as we roll, lay and run around the dust cover is open junk is flying in everywhere, forward assist unless your in a firefight I wouldn't bother there's really no other use it's for fast remedial action.

I too am looking to buy one, for those of you military and law enforcement smith & Wesson is offering a $100 rebate on them also on their other guns. Look at their site under actions finest.

11. JPenn856

JPenn856 New Member

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Still you can't argue that the two most prominent assault rifles of the last 50+ years, the AR and AK do have "dust covers". And I kinda doubt our military will be removing the covers any time soon. Of course it's up to you for your own rifle but there are valid reasons for covering the ejection port when not in a firefight.

13. JPenn856

JPenn856 New Member

I didn't realize that the top portion the covered the bolt spring on the ak and sks models were considered dust covers. I thought it just stopped the bolt spring from being lost during firing.

14. glockzombie

glockzombie New Member

I also am saving for the sport $699.00 where I am

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The AK fires just fine without the top cover - unless something gets in the action. And what about the safety/dust cover, why did Kalashnikov design it in a way that it keeps junk out of the action.

16. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

deleted, sorry.

17. DavidN

DavidN New Member

Here's a few things I've completed on mine

This is a few things to think of to help you out in the long run. If you like this then you can see what it looks like before you do it. If not then what ever way you go with it good luck, and enjoy.

Attached Files:

18. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

Dust cover is for when out are in the rear with the gear.

Forward assist never used one in my 9 years in the military. Don't have one on my current ar.

As for the smith are they are good solid cars that will last a long time.

19. dan01

dan01 New Member

Way back when, I loved my M14 A1...The mattel 16 was not funny until the forward assist, dust cover, chrome lined barrel, and improved ammo came along......The CAR has come a long way to be the choice of our armed forces..................

I am way past all of that and now I play with my military look a likes in 22 caliber......I got rid of my ARs and AKs and now play seriously with my 22s and the number of regular caliber pistols that I have....

My grand kids love the 22s.

20. dirtysancho

dirtysancho New Member

Just bought my m$p15 taking it to the range shortly. I paid $589 with a $100 military rebate il share reviews after the range