S&W Model 69 Combat Magnum

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by ninjatoth, Jan 9, 2014.

1. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Was wondering if anyone else had seen some of the new revolvers that S&W has for 2014, they have Jerry Miculek 9mm competition revolvers, an 8" 629 with rails, some other tweaks to current models and the Combat Magnums-models 66(.357) and 69(.44 magnum)? But the one the really intrigues me is the model 69 Combat Magnum, It's basically a miniature model 629, it has a 4.25" half-lug barrel, 5 shot cylinder and weighs just 37.2 oz on it's L frame. I really want one, it dimensions look more correct while sporting a short 4.25" a shorter barrel than the 4" 629 mountain gun does, I think the model 69 would be handy and I have it on my wish list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwD2oOAc1Z8&feature=c4-overview&list=UUakTOTSU6hhiSG_vU5P6Kww

Attached Files:

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Personal opinion: I wouldn't carry one as a concealed carry, it'd be a field gun, therefore, I'd want that sixth round.

Still, if the price was right, I'd get it.

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

very close in dimensions of the Taurus Tracker 44 magnum. which is 34 ozs. with a ported 4" barrel and a 5 shot cylinder. i like it!

my Tracker 44 is my woods carry gun and is just perfect as far as size and power IMO. not too big, and not too small. carrys well on the hip and has enough power that i feel confident it can do the job.

4. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

My big like is that it looks great. I got a 629 6" over the 629 4" because the 4" looks like someone just sawed off the barrel because the lug is the same length as the 6", but after I got my 629 home I realized that it won't fit in any kind of pistol lock box, so in that respect the 69 would be more handy as a home defense gun, besides, if I can't get the job done in the woods with 5 rounds of .44 mag and not 6, God help me.

5. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I also noticed that they are 4.25" barrels and not straight 4", I wonder if that has anything to do with Canadian sales, I might be wrong but I thought I heard somewhere that handguns there had to have a barrel length of no less than 4.2".

6. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Looks cool to me. I don't see a problem carrying it if that's what you would want to do it it. Being a 5 shot I'd think that was it's designed purpose. ..Making it a little less thick.
    I always say carry what you are most comfortable with. There's a reason there are as many guns made as their are opinions about what to carry ;)

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

I have a 66-2. I'll have to do research on the 66 Combat Magnum later. For now, what's special about it?

8. vincent

vincent New Member

Big S+W fan here, own the 629 with the 8 3/8" bbl...damn fine firearm...:cool:

I'd wish list it too, she's purty!! :D

The only things I would add is that a lot of times when a new model hits the market, the prices can be a bit on the high side at first because of demand...Maybe wait a few months to see if the $ is going to level off...? (strictly supposin' here, I got burned on a PPS buying it hot off the presses then watched the prices drop, :mad: but that's a poly/semi, wheelguns are a different story...like I said, just supposin')

Was also going to say maybe hold off for a bit to be sure of possible mechanical issues with a new design but it's a freakin' Smitty, pretty sure they've got it down pat by now...;)

9. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

My thoughts as well!!!:D

10. lucznik

lucznik New Member

It's good to see them return to offering a K-frame .357 Mag. I'm definitely interested... just as soon as they re-introduce one with the 2.5" barrel.

11. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

I am glad to see that S&W is still in the revolver game. New models are nice, but their classics live on.

Nothing like a single action release of Smith and Wesson revolver. (At least I hope the new ones are still great!)