S&W model 63

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Biohazurd, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

Recently bought a S&W model 63, (the older model)from a friend. The gun was in need for a little cleaning but otherwise was in good shape and shot well, except for one thing. The gun doesnt have a front site. So my question is, is installing a front site on a Model 63 to difficult job for an amateur gunsmith? What parts are needed to repair, and where do i go about finding these parts? thanks for any suggestions heres a pic of the gun, sorry crappy camera...

Oh yeah and i only payed 50 bucks for this gun...

Attached Files:

2. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 New Member

$50.00 For a S&W??

For the $ that you paid, you did GREAT! Friend or not, for that price, I would "run" the serial # to be sure it is "clean". I could not tell from the pic. is that a pinned front sight? If so, than a sight install is a simple job. If not pinned, I would have your gunsmith look at it for suggestions. Good deal overall.:D

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That was a steal! For what you paid, I'd suggest having a gunsmith install a new front sight. Then shoot the heck out of it. :D

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I'd strongly recommend you take it to your gunsmith to replace the front sight. He won't charge much and you know it'll be done right the 1st time.

5. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

Yes it its a pinned front sight. I probably will bring it to the smith though, i have a feeling im gonna shoot the crap out of this gun so i wouldnt want the front site to get loose... Thanks for the replies guys... I throw some pics up after i get the new sight installed and after i do a thourough cleaning...

6. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

Also my friend didnt have the original manual for the gun so i was wondering if anyone new of a place online to view or buy... Thanks again...