S&W Model 63 .22 revolver issues....???

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by chipster52284, Dec 2, 2009.

1. chipster52284

chipster52284 New Member

Hey guys, I inherited this beautiful revolver, but it was having a hard time opening the cylinder. After a little toying around I got it to open, I cleaned it and when I went to close the cylinder, it wouldn't close.

After scratching my head I found that the ejector rod seems to be too long and overlaps and won't close........I have never seen anything like this and I don't want to force it and do any damage.

Here are some pictures let me know if you know of a way to fix this without sending it in.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Check if the ejector rod has backed out. It may just need to be tightened.

When you have a chance, head over to the New Member Introductions and introduce yourself to the gang. ;)

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The ejector rod can unscrew a bit which causes the problem you're having. A padded vise-grip will take care of this one. I believe they are "reversed" threads so be careful...

4. chipster52284

chipster52284 New Member

I will, I just found this thread today when I googled this problem and surely will be around for quite some time!! haha thanks for the help guys it sounds like this should be an easy fix.

5. chipster52284

chipster52284 New Member

Yep that fixed it!!!

Wow what a relief this is a gun that I grew up shooting and just inherited it and will pass it down to my kids, and I'm glad this was an easy fix.

Thanks guys I really appreciate it.

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Glad to help and a S&W 63 is an absolute classic among .22 revolvers...

7. WILDCATT

WILDCATT New Member

S&W revolvers

thats a common problem with smiths.I was in a navy base and saw I bunch of smiths I went to touch one and was told they were loaded,and the crane would not open. I fixed 45 of them in a few minutes.I was in like flynn after that.