S&W Model 60 question.

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by EagleDreamer, Nov 13, 2012.

1. EagleDreamer

EagleDreamer New Member

I acquired a S&W .38 .Spl model 60 a few years ago. I have not shot any .38 +P through it, but can I? I believe it is from the 70's. I looked online at the S&W website and now the model 60 is a .357 that will accept the .38 +P rounds. Any ideas?

2. phildenton

phildenton New Member

I would contact smith & wesson directly. Aside from that stick to what is stamped on the barrel.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It's all stainless. It'll be fine.

4. 207driver

207driver New Member

What he said--^--
    What proof steel they use today may not be anything like they used 40 years ago.

I reloaded some pretty hot loads for my pre '70's version K38, probably more like +P+, and it seemed to handle it okay, but got to thinking that the accuracy didn't improve, and I was beating up a pretty nice gun just to get some extra feet per second out of it. If you want that kind of performance, trade it for a 357 Mag.

Unfortunately, I lost the K38 to some sticky fingers.
    Mod 14-2 8 3/8 bbl SN-93895

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i would have to say if it's marked 38 Spl. then thats what you should shoot. but as suggested contact S & W and ask them for their advice on whether it's safe to use the +p ammo.

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The Mdl. 60 S&W .38 Spec. is no longer on the list for for Federal Officers carry guns. The reason they are not rated for +P ammo. These are fine little handguns and the standard .38 Service loads worked well for 90 years.:)

7. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

In the PD we were warned way back to never fire +P out of our OD revolvers which included the S&W model60 and the Colt DS. We carried .38 special 158gr semi wad lead for the street and 148gr wadcutters for the range. Listen to Nightstalker and get the newer version made in the 90's for .357, then you can shoot whatever you want safely. This was my DS made in the late 60's.
    [​IMG]

8. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

Is there a real need to shoot +P ammo in your S&W .38 .Spl model 60?

9. EagleDreamer

EagleDreamer New Member

Thanks for all of the replys. I really have no need to shoot +P. But I was given a box of HP +P so I was trying to figure out if I could shoot them. I guess I will be passing those along to a guy at work who just bought a .38+P.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  10. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Older Md 60

This was a unique time in history. Officers often carried +P .loads even though their weapons were not designed to fire them.

My understanding was the gun could fire them but not for very long or the cylinder w stretch out. I suppose if your life is endangered, the thought of reducing the longevity of your firearm doesnt mean a whole lot.

11. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

We had a Highway Patrol Offficer who figured the same way. During a Highway stop of a bank robber the SHTF. The robber charged his cruiser blazing away with a little .32 Auto. The officer pulled down with a .38 Spec. Mdl.10 S&W. The gun had been used to shoot the +P ammo. That was the day the battered hand failed and the S&W locked up. The officer was shot point blank 4 times. Betting on over loads in a combat handgun is not a wise choice.:(

12. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Believe it or not, that is the first case I've heard about it going bust when needed most. The biggest issue I noticed was they (police & the civilian who imitate them) were practicing w std 158 gr or 148 WC but carrying + P.

I suppose the premise was "actual shooting distances are so short" and if I only get one shot, I'll make it the biggest, baddest one shot in history.

Problem: how much is too much for older steel ? Even if your gun worked fine, your "legal" problems were just beginning. Non sanctioned bullets in police firearms ? The playing field is tilted and not in our favor.;)

13. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

Back in the early 70's a member of my unit, while in plainclothes, was forced to shoot a drug dealer when a buy went bad. He shot the perp twice in the chest killing him instantly. He shot him with his S&W .38 Chief using .38 Super Vels. When he was asked to present his revolver to an Inspector, as he opened the cylinder to unload it the cylinder literally fell apart in two pieces and dropped to the floor. It was a good shooting, but he was issued complaints for using unauthorized ammo. Back then our Rules and Procedures allowed us to carry a second gun regardless of caliber, or ammo. But we had to also be carrying our authorized service revolver, or OD revolver. His problem was he only was carrying his gun with unauthorized ammo. I used to carry at times a BHP loaded with Super Vels that were legit. Back then not too many civilians sued the PD, but today it would've cost him his house, or more. Lucky for him the guy wasn't shooting back.

14. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

That post brings up some old memories. Lee Jurris and Super Vel ammo. I recall Lee was Fire Chief of Madison, Indiana 1960s when he pioneered HV expanding pistol ammo. The last time I saw him was at Demming, NM. He was trying to revive the .44 Auto-Mag. That was in 1973 I wonder where?:)

15. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

I have enough Super Vel left to fill one mag of my BHP, but I had it for so many years I can't bring myself to fire it. That automag was as big as it was expensive. When I saw Clint Eastwood firing it in one of his movies I was a little tempted, but figured my mod 29 was all I really needed.

16. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Clint helped sell a lot of 44s - desert eagle was first commercial success that I can recall n came in multi - calibers as well. Hollywood seems to likes it - well - it is big & impressive.

No one llikes to talk bad about their gun but the desert eagle groups were better than my Rugers. - probably the load....:p

17. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The LAR Grizzly .45 Win Made a multicaliber handgun by Perry Arnet. The Grizz was available with a number of Convs. .357, .45 ACP , 10 MM etc. It has been in a number of movies as well. The one I liked best was the Sniper with Tom Berringer.

I tried most of the "Big" autos back in the day. I have kept only one the LAR Grizz. .45 Win Mag. & .357 Mag. Conv.:)

Attached Files:

18. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

True enough, there were a couple of Sniper movies but Charles Bronson used the Win Mag to clean up a neighborhood. Not sure but I think he had a nickname for it. Great firearm trivia question ???