Firearms Talk banner

S&W Model 60 3" 357mag

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Chainfire 
#1 ·
Anyone have a holster suggestion for my S&W Model 60 357Mag with 3" barrel? Just bought the gun and need something for carrying. Generally prefer OWB and Kydex, but haven't seen anything that I really like.

#6 ·
Since the crown of the muzzle greatly affects accuracy and the effect we are looking for is accuracy why would anyone with a choice use a too short holster? My 3" 60 rides in a Bianchi black pancake or De Santis brown pancake. A holster should protect the gun from damage, protect the gun from the environment (dirt / snow), protect you from the gun, perhaps hide the gun, and allow you to "shuck it out right quick".

#7 ·
Since the crown of the muzzle greatly affects accuracy and the effect we are looking for is accuracy why would anyone with a choice use a too short holster? My 3" 60 rides in a Bianchi black pancake or De Santis brown pancake. A holster should protect the gun from damage, protect the gun from the environment (dirt / snow), protect you from the gun, perhaps hide the gun, and allow you to "shuck it out right quick".

The crown makes a difference on a rifle. But on a short barreled pistol, it can't make any real difference. I carry sever different j-frames with the barrel slightly exposed in pancake holsters. I don't think there will ever be any effect on accuracy.

#8 ·
I just got another 3 inch, a SP 101, and found several holsters for the j frame in my 'holster box' that work just fine. As for damage to the crown, what you say is true, but at handgun range, 50 yds or less, that is not a valid/realistic consideration.:)

#9 ·
Seems like a preference/philosophy issue to me. If you have a shorter holster with an open end, it can be used. If you really want to cover the gun completely, there are full length holsters available.

#10 ·
When I am 'in the wild' I always use a holster that covers the muzzle becasue if you set down or fall down on the ground you may end up with dirt/mud in the bbl. but while carrying for in public SD the probability of that is very low.;)

#11 ·
Headhunter, Having a slight amount of barrel protrude is such a minor issue as to discount damage caused from external sources. The holster is securely attached to a belt and in a position where my arm protects it as well as the tail of my sweat shirt covering everything, in other words " ain't no way" the crown will be damaged. I carried revolvers and large autos in belt slide holsters exposing a great deal of the pistol before retirement from LE and never had cause to be concerned with the weapon being damaged even in hand to hand scuffles.

#12 ·
Ebay is eat-up with high quality used leather holsters, and dirt cheap; any style you desire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.