S&W Model 59

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Trez, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

So i sold my main HD pistol, (a .40 sigma that i really didnt care for) and now am stuck using a old model 59 for home defense. I think its big and uncomfortable and the sights are just "ok". I do like how it operates, almost like a 1911. Anything i can do to make it more comfortable, or make the sights better? Has anybody tried the pachmar grips? Ive read they make it feel like a brick covered in rubber, the last thing i need to do is make the grips any bigger, it barely fits my hand as is.....
    As well ive heard this was the first american double stack 9mm, is this true? Also i heard it was a big hit with law enforcement. Any LEO's here ever used one? What did you think of it?

(As you can tell i like to know the history of my guns..... ;) )

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

It's a pretty solid pistol and it will do the job. Practice enough so that you're comfortable with it. If not, sell it or trade it for something that you'd prefer.

3. freefall

freefall New Member

My bro-in-law used to have one. I thought it was fat and unhandy, and was a .45 1911 snob at the time. (I still struggle with that:eek:) A couple years ago, my cuz in law gave me a Model 39, the original American crunchenticker. I find that I like it. Feels good, DA trigger's pretty good, shoots pretty good. Might be able to overcome my prejudice against a 59 if somebody gave me one.;)

4. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Its just my "ina pinch" gun right now, it was my dad's everyday carry piece so it has sentimental value..... Im a ok shot with it, its just kinda big and i cant keep a firm grip on it, not where im gonna drop it, but enough it makes it hard to be accurate with quick shots, i gotta really take my time to be accurate with repeated shots. I would really like a 1911 but the prices are insane......:confused:

5. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I've had a Model 59 since the 80's that has been a very reliable pistol.

It is heavy and fat, but not in a bad way ;). I put some Pachmayr grips on it to control my grip on it while shooting. They make a huge difference for a small investment.

The good thing about the 59 is that you never have to wonder whether it will go bang or hit what you are shooting at. :cool:

Attached Files:

6. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

So you like the pachmars? They dont look like they make the gun much larger. They do make the gun look sweet though.... there might be hope for this old pistol after all.....;)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  7. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

They're really comfortable and help keep the gun pointed straight while shooting. I don't feel like they add any extra thickness to the grip over the stock plastic grips from the factory. :cool:

8. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input snake!! Ill give the pachmars a try.....

It just occured to me I havent shown it off yet... I think it used to be a police gun. Its marked "Fresno Co." Any ideas what this could mean?

Attached Files:

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The M-59 was indeed the first double stack American 9mm. I had one back in the late 80's. It worked. The problem is there are not many accessories available for them these days.

10. OldManMontgomery

OldManMontgomery Member

S&w m59

The S&W M59 was the first successful double stack 9x19 American made pistol, if not the first by any standard. (I can't think of anything else to challenge that claim of 'first', either.) It was a 'development' of the M39. I prefer the 39 as my hands are just small enough NOT to fit the 59.

There is nothing wrong with the 59 as a house gun (presuming one has confidence in 9x19 caliber.) They are reliable in the whole, accurate enough for the task and big enough to mitigate recoil.

"Fresno Co" could signify Fresno County in California. There may be other Fresno Counties as well; I didn't find any in a quick Bing search.

11. WDB

WDB New Member

I had a 59 many moons ago and traded it off a few years back. It was a solid pistol and I would buy again if I ran accross one and had spare $

12. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Thanks again snake! I just got a used set of pachmars for $10. It still feels like a brick, but a manageable brick now. Took it to the range and the gun is now comfortable and points straight.. They made this old 59 into a whole new gun!!!

13. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Glad the pachs worked well for you, that was a really good deal you got on them. Good for you! It's always my pleasure to help out.

The 59 is a rugged old solid performer that you can count on in a crunch. Come SHTF, my 59 will be on my hip backing up my long gun. :cool:

14. KentuckyBob

KentuckyBob Member

I had one back in the late 70's or early 80's whenever they came out. My buddy bought a Model 39 the same day. I never did like my 59 and sold it years ago.