S&W Model 410?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by sasquatch76, Jun 12, 2010.

1. sasquatch76

sasquatch76 New Member

Does anyone have any feedback on the S&W Model 410? Also would it be a good gun for an armed security guard?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Some states do not allow a guard to carry anything other than a .38 caliber. Please check your state statutes.
    Other than that, I believe it would be a good gun.

3. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I had a 411 for 14 years that was my first handgun. It's the same gun but with larger magazine capacity (IIRC). It was a solid gun and never malfunctioned, but it was not accurate.

For example: I was out shooting with a friend years ago. We were at about 15 yrds. At that distance, my 411 was all over the paper. He handed me his Les Baer Custom and I shot a solid 5 inch group. I decided then and there to trade it for something better. It's since been replaced by my XDm .40

I don't think I would feel comfortable with a 411 for a professional. I'd recommend my XDm much more heartily. It's more accurate, has a better trigger, better safeties (in my opinion), more capacity. It is just a much better gun all around. And the XDm won't break the bank to purchase.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  4. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I've known a couple people that had that model. One was pretty good the other you could not hit your rump with it in your back pocket. For that reason I don't know if I'd want one for a work weapon. There are just too many other pistols you can get that you know will do a good job. For me anyway.

5. sasquatch76

sasquatch76 New Member

Thanks guys. danf, in WV all you have to have for an armed security job is training and a CCW. Scott, I was also looking at the XD40 Service as a duty pistol, are they safer than a Glock?

6. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I'd take an XD over a Glock every time. I just think them to be better weapons. Safer? I'm not all that sure. They both don't seen to go off if dropped. Keep your finger out of the trigger guard and they all are as safe as they need to be.

I like the XD for a better fit. The grip safety is really not a plus or minus in my opinion. But the XD seems to have a more friendly grip and I have shot better groups with the XD that I have with a Glock. I've owned both at one time or another.

7. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I haven't found a Glock I like, but to each his own.

As for the Springfield being safer than the Glock, that's kind of like the old saying in aviation... "What's the safest airplane. It's the Piper Cub. A Piper Cub can only barely kill you."

I like safeties on semi-auto's. The XD safeties I think are the most functional available. Not that I would describe them as more safe, just better designed for their purpose. That is quick deactivation when needed, and otherwise positively engaged without independent action.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

What firearm is recommended by the training?

9. sasquatch76

sasquatch76 New Member

I recently e-mail the company I'm seeking employment with and asked that. Hopefully I will hear from them soon. As for now I just need to find out more about what pistols would be most suitable for armed security.