S&W Model 28 v 686

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Gramps, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Gramps

Gramps New Member

I'm looking to replace a Model 28, 4" that I lost almost 30 years ago to an Ex. Don't miss her but I sure miss my 357! I haven't kept up on the newer models and the price of these 2 used are running pretty close.

I'd like to go with a 6" just because I'm anal about accuracy up to 50 - 75 yards or so, I like tight groups! No plans on hunting with it, it's primarily for target practice and self defense should the need ever arise. I used to do my own hot loads and may get back into that too and what about deer hunting or is that not being realistic?

Thoughts and opinions on either?

2. Boris

Boris New Member

My 2 cents, both are excellent revolvers, but I think I would marginally go with the 'L' frames, mainly for the fact that the greater cylinger weight of the M27/28. I shoot my old service 4" M581, and not withstanding we have been married for a long time, she shoots on the button, never let me down, and still looks as good!..........................I say no more...:)

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

6" 28's are fairly rare. I have only seen 2 in all my years. 6" 686 would be far easier to obtain. I love my N-frames but would not scoff at a 6" 686 (or 586)

4. Gramps

Gramps New Member

Thanks all, your input is valued! I need to make up my mind, these are what I'm looking at and they're all priced within a few $'s of each other, all 6":

Model 27 - 90% needs bluing, only one major spot.
    Model 28 - 95%, very nice, not original grips but doesn't mater to me.
    Model 686 - Looks super! Leaning towards this one.

Also can anybody fill me in on how the "new" integral lock on the 686 works and what dash number it would be. No little kids around, is it a good thing or not. :confused:

5. freefall

freefall New Member

I'd rather have the N frame, 27-28, don't much care. If I wanted a smaller .357 I'd look for a Ruger Security Six. I've had 3, think they're the cats ass.

6. Gramps

Gramps New Member

From what I've been able to figure out, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, the L frame 586/686 is basically an N frame with smaller grips to accommodate smaller hands. That's not a problem with me. I'm still waiting for a response on the Model 27, certainly in the "collectible" category, and I can get it re-blued for $75.

7. RONSERESURPLUS

RONSERESURPLUS New Member

S& W Model 28 VS L Frames?

Gramps

Ron L here = SERESURPLUS

While I echo that the S& W Model 28/27 N Frame and L frame 586, 686 and other are fine revolvers, I do have a correction! The L Frame is not an N Frmae with different Grips! The L Frame is a different Frame size all to it'self, it's betweer size of an K Frame like a S & W 66 or Model 19 and the N Fame in the Model 28/27, I'd go with the Model 27, as they were smoother and I never seen one with any real issues? Plus if all about the same cost, go with an older better made revolver anyday! If carry weight is an Issue, I'd go with the F Frame or drop to a K Frame? Thats your call?

8. Gramps

Gramps New Member

Thanks for the info. Carry weight is a non-issue. I'm thinking that the 27 is a better value and probably is the best made of the lot. Still the others are good choises too. I guess that's why I needed some feed back on this.

9. G21.45

G21.45 New Member

I own them all. My favorite 357 magnum; and one I've shot very well in many PPC matches is a Model 27 with a ported 6" barrel - Which I love! You can't beat the quality of the steel or the case hardened trigger parts in an old Smith N frame.

My 686 is a huge snub-nosed revolver that seems to have more, 'sex appeal' than any other gun I own. It's fairly new and nice; but, it ain't no N frame! ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By the way, a 4" barrel will give you all the accuracy you need and might be a better self-defense piece for ya.

10. Gramps

Gramps New Member

Thanks all!!

I'm very happy to say that I just committed to buying the Model 27, 6". :D It's hard to go wrong with any of them but I think that I ended up leaning on the 27 because of possible collector value when I'm worm food.

Noted on the 4" for accuracy and self defence.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  11. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

If I may contribute my opinion:

I believe the Model 586 (prefer blued guns, myself) to be the best .357 Magnum DA revolver to come down the pike.

The 586/686 guns have the heavy, full lug barrel, which I prefer. Also they share the long cylinder of the Model 19, which will accommodate the longer 173 gr. SWC bullets I use at times. And I prefer the smooth combat trigger of these guns over the narrow ribbed, or wide target ribbed triggers, of the N-framed guns. And, the L-framed revolvers have a smoother DA pull.

As to the frame, the L-Frame is an intermediate size between the K-Frame and N-Frame, but does retain the K-Frame's grip. I find this grip a little easier to use in DA than the larger L-Frame.

I've gon through a number of .357 Magnmum DA revolvers, Model 27, Model 28, Model 19, and Colt Pythons, as well as having some experience with the Dan Wesson. I still carry a 2 1/2" Model 19 daily, but I still am of the opinion that the 586 is the best .357 Magnum DA revolver ever made.

These some of my pets:
    [​IMG]

Bob Wright

12. Gramps

Gramps New Member

Very nice pets, indeed! Opinion noted.

EDIT - and now I see why I couldn't find a 586 to put on my list! :D

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  13. freefall

freefall New Member

Congrats on buying the mod 27. That's what I would have done for a minimal price difference. If a big diff I'd get the 28 but there's a world of difference between the N frame and the L frame, and personally I think the 27 is the nicest revolver S&W ever made. Hope I find one I can afford some day!!

14. Gramps

Gramps New Member

In all fairness to the 586/686 I finally made a 40 mile trip to a gun store so that I could "touch and feel" one but not shoot it. The weights of these compared to the 27/28 appear to be pretty equal at 43/44oz and since the larger grip of the 27/28 vs the under barrel lug of the 586/686 are the major differences (balance wise) it felt nose heavy to me and the grip felt too small. I guess I've got big hands but they seem to fit on the ends of my arms pretty well. I also went to target grips on my 28, back when, so it may just be the generic way that S&W makes their grips. That's just a very personal thing, no reflection on how either will feel to someone else.

I haven't finalized the deal on the 27, its need a little work on the bluing that's doable but in the process of still looking I've found a 28 that I may be able to get for $150 less that may only need a rear sight blade. Sometimes I hate being this anal, it's called paralysis by analysis, but I am totally satisfied with the end result.

Thanks to all for your input!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  15. Gramps

Gramps New Member

Well, the saga is nearly over, now it's the waiting for delivery and the extra 48 hours imposed by WI state laws once it gets here.

I ended up buying exactly what I was looking for in the first place, a Model 28 with a 6" barrel. I guess we're aloud to mention price on here as long as we don't care about being laughed at. I got it for under $300 with a broken rear sight blade and I've picked up one of those for another $2.00. Even with the transfers and shipping I'm well under my $400 budget and I got exactly what I was looking for. A good cleaning, polishing the action, painting the sights and a nice set of target grips and she'll be ready to go.

Thanks for EVERYBODIES input on this, it's been a real joy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]