S&W Model 19 Help

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by 25-5, Mar 3, 2014.

1. 25-5

25-5 New Member

A LEO friend gave me a S&W Model 19. It is from the fifties. Everything about it says Model 19 except on the frame inside the yoke which reads 29601 with a 7 underneath. It is K-frame marked, with pinned barrel and regressed cylinder.
    I am wondering if it is a .357 Combat Magnum manufactured after Bill Jordan got his in 1955 and model numbers were stamped in 1957.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

25-5,
    They are nice revolvers but unfortunately the finish on this one is questionable referring to the picture. Has someone tried to polish the blue finish off of it? If it is a good solid gun it would be worth rebluing. But of course it would not be original. However with the finish the way it is that sure damaged the value due to it's age. But as stated if the revolver is in good condition and locks up on all cylinders properly it is a very good piece!
    If you do not know how to check it (The Timing!) let us know here on the Forum and we can walk you through it.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

4. 25-5

25-5 New Member

It's nickel chrome and spent 30+ years in a service holster. Improper cleaning methods are obvious. Barrel and cylinders are in perfect shape. It handles and shoots very well. I was going to see what it would take to re chrome or blue. I shootem more than collectem!
    Wikipedia was one of my info sources. I do think it is a pre model stamped 19.
    Like the input!
    Oh, the cylinder is not dis colored. That's just the photo. The frame on both sides above the grips has been polished a bit to much. It's an 80%.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If that were mine, I would not re-chrome or blue it.
    Leave it as is with its character.

6. 25-5

25-5 New Member

We think alike on that score. Every mark is a story. The 19 comes from someone close so though I thought about it I would be hard pressed to change anything.
    I have the dies, unused for 35 yrs, been saving brass. I guess I'll have to change from large primer in the 450 Dillon.

7. Sniper03

25-5,
    Sorry about that I looked at the dark cast in the picture on the cylinder and the crane area and assumed the finish had been attempted to be removed. Could have just been shadows in the photo! Believe it or not I have seen that ocurr more than once! Since it is "Chrome" I would just clean it up gently whithout doing any damage to the original finish and keep it as danf advised. Most of them were produced in blue. I had one and wished I had it back. Great Revolver! And as you stated it is good a thight and in good mechanical condition.
    Nice Piece for the year and only if it could tell the stories!

8. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Sniper, when I read your post I looked at my pics. Looks bad, but it's in nice shape actually. I love my 25-5, but this 19 has a good home. Bill Jordan knew his stuff.

9. Sniper03

Yes he did!

I still have an audographed book signed by Bill Jordon. Title: "No Second Place Winner"!

Enjoy that fine revolver! And send us some Range Pictures when you get it out!

I still have my S&W Model 27 5" 357 Mag S&W N Frame that was my first Hadgun as a "Baby" Deputy Sheriff from the early 70s! Wouldn't get rid of her for the world! And those N Frame 25-5s are a great gun!

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The pre-model 19- properly the .357 Combat Magnum, started in 1955 (as you know) with first serial number K260001, and changed to Model 19 in 1957. These were available in blued or NICKEL-not chrome. Your gun is wearing the correct period grips- that diamond shape in the middle went away in 1968. If your gun is anywhere close to the above SN, then you DO have a 1955-1956 specimen.

You can contact the S&W Performance Shop at 1-800-331-0852 (have your serial number handy) if you want the gun redone in a high polish nickel. They charge $275. If it were mine, I would love and cherish it as it is- but if you can't leave it alone, send it back to the birthplace for the work.

11. 25-5

25-5 New Member

C3 I keep calling it chrome after all these years even though I know better. I'm not making any changes.
    The serial number is below the 263's.

12. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

That is one really NEET old gun. Thanks for sharing. :)
    I carried a 19 for the first 14 years as a cop, and would have no problem going in harms way with one today.;)

13. 25-5, I bet it's got a screw in the front of the trigger guard.

If so, that's the tip off; it is a 'pre-model 19' and is a Combat Magnum. Do not change the finish or do much in the way of alterations. It worth something as a collector; ESPECIALLY if you document the prior owner as a lawman. (You can put more comfortable grips on it, but keep the originals and don't let the 'new' ones cause any rust underneath.)

The S&W Combat Magnum or M19 was one of the finest revolvers ever produced. They still work very well if the shooter knows what to do.

14. 25-5

25-5 New Member

It do have that screw!
    I have transfer papers from the Commander.
    I like the action. Smooth on two stage or straight through.
    I have 3 N, 1 J, and this K. The grips seem to be just right on the 19, so no change like the others. I take them off when cleaning.
    I keep all original parts, including the boxes.
    Thank you for putting the final screw in the puzzle.

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

1955- All K Frame revolvers- SN began with K231256- thru K266164.

16. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Thanks C3, my SN is 2628XX. Right in there.
    Carried by the same officer for 30+ years. There is no blood on it either. I am very pleased.

17. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I agree a 4 screw Combat Magnum in any condition is collectible. Leave it as is and enjoy. Check for "end shake cylinder". The fore and aft movement of the cylinder should be almost zero. Many K-frame .357's suffer from this condition. Easily fixed with an end shake bushing from cylinder and slide company

18. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Thanks Robo. There is no shake. It was not shot too often. Chicago police are notorious for their lack of practice.