S&W Mod 10-7 refinish

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by M14sRock, Feb 12, 2011.

1. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I picked this up yesterday in a trade with a friend. Mechanically it was great, but cosmetically it was toast.

[​IMG]

Someone had tried to cold blue the whole thing. It ended up being filled with rust, and gave the impression that the whole gun, fully assembled, had been dipped in cold blue. This is AFTER a good cleaning with a Dremel and stainless brushes.

[​IMG]

So, I cleaned up the insides, and blasted the whole thing with aluminum oxide.

[​IMG]

Decided to go with Brownells Gun Kote in Matte Dark Earth. It ended up sort of a cross between OD Green and Parkerizing. The stains you see are Fluid Film.

[​IMG]

Continued...

2. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Part 2...

I took the serrations off the trigger and radiused to edge for double action use.

Before.

[​IMG]

And after. Final polish is not done yet, but I wanted to put it back together. Ha.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. BombDoc

BombDoc New Member

Looks good! What are you planning for grips/stocks?

4. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Thanks!

I gotta say that the stock stocks with the Tyler T are pretty cool. I have Tyler T's on a whole bunch of my S&Ws and have always been happy with them.

I might slim these down a bit, though, on the right side. Not sure yet.

Using these, my hand slides right into the recoil shoulder. I like it. I'm even thinking about doing my Model 15 the same way.

Jury is still out, though.

5. BombDoc

BombDoc New Member

I like the TT as well. Even more so, since they started in OKC.
    [​IMG]

Does the smoothed/radiused trigger make much of a difference?

I have to thank you. The next time we get a jalopy through the shop I might try a project like yours. Right now we have an old boot gun with a bad nickel finish I might try.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  6. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Cool looking Colt!! Is that a Diamond Back, or Python? No scale in the pic. How old?

The trigger work is the single most important upgrade I could recommend. If you have ever put 200-800 rds through a revolver in DA in a day, you could appreciate it. It will eliminate the "hole" in your trigger finger. Not a "blister", a "hole".

It subtly changes the radius of the trigger, and the sharp lower edge is just gone.

I don't run those kinds of rds through my revolvers anymore, but just in case they all still get the same work.

7. BombDoc

BombDoc New Member

Diamondback. It was built in 67.

All of my Smiths have the original triggers. I don't ever shoot them that much but if I pick up a project I might see how much difference that makes.

8. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

That is some nice work there sir! That would look good with some tan or dark green micarta stocks!

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I love the Diamond Back. I would love one in .22lr.

Find a beater S&W (J&G has some right now) and mod the trigger. It is a huge improvement.

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

It would rock with some Micarta stocks! Smooth, sandblasted canvas Micarta in green, tan or brown. Maybe I should dig out the router table and whip up a set?

Thanks for the idea, P-Mo.

11. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Always nice to see a classic reborn! Fella that works in my building just picked up a mint Model 10, probably in 98% condition for $100. While I've managed to find some good deals - doubt I'll ever find a deal like that. Yeah, I immediately offered him double his money and was immediately told to go piss up a rope...:D

12. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Your friend got a great deal.

I can't pass up old S&Ws for a decent price. I might be scoring an 80s vintage Mod36 on Tue for $100. Fingers crossed.

13. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I picked up this 5-screw flat latch pre-model 36 chief's special with the smaller trigger guard years ago for $200 at a gun show. Unfortunately, it came with these conversion target grips and I can't find the proper ones because I think it is an "I" frame or "baby J" frame because standard J frame grips are too large (the last pic is this gun wearing standard J frame crimson trace grips and they are too long).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  14. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Nice. I had a pre-36 flat latch in the box many years ago. I was talked out of it, unfortunately. I bet you could get some stocks from the S&W Forum. Reinhard might have a line on a set, too.

15. hawkchucker

hawkchucker New Member

Kinda silly question, but how thick does it come off as. Is it effecting the function at all? and how did ya get the screws so crisp? The one time I did use the stuff it looked like a retarded monkey went at it with Krylon.

16. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

It goes on pretty thin, but I will be checking gap before firing. My feeler guages are in one of my tool chests.

The screws are no problem as long as they are abrasive blasted prior to painting.

The only function issue was that the yoke was too tight, so I stripped some off and worked it in.

All in all it is very easy to do. I've done tons of rifles, pistols and shotguns, but this was my first revolver. I'm already on the prowl for another hacked up S&W.

As a side note to this one, when I was spraying the frame it slipped off the hook I was using and bounced all over the concrete floor in my garage. Came up covered in dirt, hair, bugs, dust, debris and all sorts of crap. Wiped the affected areas with acetone and a rag and re-sprayed them. You cannot tell it was done in two stages. Gun Kote is very easy to use, and do well.

17. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

y0

Hi , i know this is an ancient thread but that looks awesome id like to do this gun koat With my Royal Hong Kong police issue 10-7 as well and this would be my first refinish so my question is was it hard to take the gun apart? is this a job you'd recommend a n00b try? thanks

18. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

There is nothing difficult about detail stripping an S&W revolver, but if you have never done it, get some books and watch some videos before attempting.