S&W m910 a hunk of crap?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by mountainman13, Apr 2, 2012.

1. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Is this gun in general not worth the papers you use it to weight down or is it just my fathers gun in itself? The finish and fit of the slide are terrible. It's a nightmare to get the slide back on. If you have the safety on and rack the slide the hammer swings forward and slams the stop. The grips feel like they are gonna fall off. I was gonna clean it up and polish the internals for him but its not even worth it. Is this typical?

2. ZombieBrawler

ZombieBrawler New Member

No idea however that incredibly dissapointing to hear that from a smith. Seems like it is just a damn paperweight or a trade in. If something new is in mind, try an XDm

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It's just such a cheap gun to start with and by the looks of it whoever sold it to him took a slide off of one junk gun and just blued over the pitting on it and threw a new barrel in it. I'm afraid to ask what he paid.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It's not so much I won't do some work on it for him but I get a bit pissed off about some of the scum bags out there and I need to walk away some times. Seriously though I'm looking at more than a days work just for the slide.

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I think he just got an abused gun. The S&W 910 was an economized lightweight 6906 I think. Pretty good pistol in its day. I have the heavier full size 5906 and love it.

If you're talking about the decocker, if it's turned down it's normal for the hammer to drop down when you rack the slide. And at first it is tricky to get the slide back on fully, you have to have the hammer down and press down the three levers one at a time.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Yeah I'm not a big fan of the design. His is definately more difficult than it is supposed to be to get back together. I see what your saying. So its normal for the hammer to fall when you put the gun on safe? To add more context I'm saying if the hammer is cocked back and you put the safety on the hammer comes forward. So in their design decocking is based entirely on the hammer coming forward and slamming the stop. Again not a fan.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Is it stainless on top then blued over, if that's possible? The barrel stainless?

And the frame is alloy? I know a little in general about these economized versions but not the specific models. It was common to find two-tone models though so it could be stock.

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Maybe this will help

Attached Files:

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

As far as what he paid for it, depends when he got it. Today they can be had for under $300 when you stumble across one. The better models like the 5906/6906 can be found used from $300-400 at CDNN.

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Definitely an alloy frame. Not so sure on the slide. Pretty damn sure its a replacement barrel. And the frame is wearing unevenly.

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Wow, that slide is pitted! In the first picture the color match looks normal so I'm guessing this isn't a parts gun.

Is it a blue steel slide and frame? And takes a 14, 15 or 17rd magazine? If so it's pretty much the cheaper version of the very rare all blue steel 5905. I have the common all SS 5906, which otherwise is the same as the 5905.

12. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

The slide is more of a gray. The frame is definitely an alloy.

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Ah ok, alloy frame. Sounds like hot loads have been run through it or a very high round count. If no cracking above the trigger it might still be a decent gun.

14. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Yeah don't see any cracks (not using a loop or anything) I'm sure it shoots fine but I can honestly say I hate the design.

15. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Thanks for the input guys.

16. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I have to put the back end of the frame on a table and lean on it to push the pins down so I can work the slide back on. That's not right. I think I'm gonna gut the thing and go through it before he gets it back.

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yeah MM, the last lever (the shortest one) is pretty hard to push down enough for the slide to clear it. Sounds like yours is harder than most. It does sound like this gun needs a good cleaning.

Did your father get it a long time ago or recently? Just wondering if he knows more of the story.

18. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I'm sure he has never had it apart. I would assume he got it within the last 5 years as he just did his first renewal (to my knowledge). I'm currently holding all of his firearms for him as he can't have them in his residence at the moment. Long story.
    I plan to go through all of them as a surprise.