S&W M351PD .22 MAG trigger job

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by CowboyBill, Dec 3, 2019.

1. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Member Supporter

Just bought a M351PD .22 MAG, waiting for it to come in. I think I read somewhere that the trigger is quite the pull, anybody have any information on trigger job parts or process? I've dont trigger jobs with great success on many guns but these smaller guns tend to have somewhat limited results.

towboater likes this.
  2. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I cant help ya . Hope someone can.

3. CowboyBill

I found a spring kit at Wolf Springs and will polich things up as I go.

Thanks

4. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

If it aint broke dont fix it. Ok what im saying before you go ordering springs and stuff. Try it 1st. Yes in double action pull will be harder. In single action it should be light. I dont shoot my revolvers in D/A. Part of that is habit. My 1st wheel gun was S/A and ones that followed are too. I have 3 that are D/A S/A too.

kfox75 likes this.
  5. CowboyBill

You need to come pull my triggers, then you'd know why I know it needs a trigger job before it arrives.

PaBushMan likes this.
  6. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

PaBushman, that's not an offer you get everyday:p

CowboyBill and PaBushMan like this.
  7. PaBushMan

Yes i know. If we were close i would take him up on the offer. It would be a lot of fun. My sons henpecked with his new G/F i lost my shooting buddy.

CowboyBill likes this.
  8. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

That should get you were you need to be.

CowboyBill likes this.
  9. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

That’s too bad. Nothing teaches you trigger control like shooting DA revolvers. You get good at that the rest is easy. But most folks avoid it because it’s to “hard”...

10. CowboyBill

Well I picked up the gun today and to say the least, I'm shocked at the trigger pull, this gun makes my "out of the box" Ruger LCR seem like it has a competition target trigger job done on it.

Single action, not terrible at 3.5#, double action...my digital trigger measuring gage only goes up to just shy of 12# and it didn't even budge the trigger. I honestly can't pull the trigger double action with the pad of my trigger finger it's so heavy. I only hope I can make a functional firearm out of this POC, cuz right now it's a paper weight.

PaBushMan likes this.
  11. PaBushMan

Wow that is not good. Now i see why the trigger job. Hope it goes well.

Rifling82 likes this.
  12. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

It’s typical for rim fire revolvers. They need a heavy hammer strike especially with the transfer bar. On the other hand, target shooting for fun is almost always single action. Think of it as a single action revolver with the emergency backup DA. My 2c of course.

I don’t like starting an upgrade cycle, it’s often a waste of money. If you don’t like it as is now is a good time to sell or trade.

JRDallas likes this.
  13. CowboyBill

Called S&W and an 18# DA trigger is their norm, they say it takes that much to ignite magnum loads, I say BULL. Shocked me as I have Ruger .22 with a great trigger out of the box. I did a spring change with the kit I bought but the mainspring in the kit was 9# which makes for a nice pull but I seriously doubt it will ignite the primers at half the stock weight. I ordered a mainspring pack with 5 different weights so hopefully I can find a lighter one that fires. I think the biggest problem with their need for such a heavy pull is the shape of their firing pin, it's very rounded, I've never seen a .22 firing pin that wasn't a rectangle with sharp edges. That rounded pin has to hit the rim pretty hard to make it go off. I'm tempted to see what it would cost to have a rectangle pin made so I can make a decent DA trigger out of this thing.

14. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

They will always put reliability first. It is not a target pistol. As for the pin shape, they probably want to rule out piercing the primer. If they knew how to make the trigger pull pleasant at the same time, they would have. The semiauto is a different design where the pin strike force is independent from the trigger pull.

15. CowboyBill

I get that but you'd think they could do better than 18#. As for the pierced primer, my 454 Casull with hot loads used to pierce the primer with a pin shaped firing pin and it doesn't make any difference but in that case the primer got stuck in the primer so I had to round it off.

16. CowboyBill

OK, just got back from the range test firing. I took two handguns with significantly reduced mainsprings out, my Alaskan 454 Casull and the S&W .22 magnum in question here. the .22 I reduced the mainspring in half and kind of expected it to not or barely fire rounds, not the case. I shot a box of magnums and not one misfire. .22 Long Rifle only about half fired but it became obvious that the chamber for a magnum round is significantly different from the Long Rifle round. The magnums stand out from the cylinder and the LR's sink in an indentation, in fact I had to use a cleaning rood to eject a few of these. I fired those with my trigger job being light enough to accurately fire the gun with the pad of my trigger finger.

The 454 basically the same thing, I reduced the mainspring by half as well as the trigger return spring and it fired factory loads and two different reloads of mine without a hiccup.

SO, Smith and Wesson CS, "it has to have an 18# spring to fire" BS.

PaBushMan likes this.