S&W M&Ps have the ghey...

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by spittinfire, Feb 21, 2010.

1. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

As some of you know I'm persuing a career in law enforcement and yesterday I learned that the issued weapon is a S&W M&P in 357 sig. Not my favorite round but I would feel comfortable carrying it. I can't carry anything else on or off duty without qualifying with it before hand. Anyway, I stopped in Gander Mountain today to handle one, have looked at them before but it's been a while. I pick it up, feels OK, fits my hand well, points OK (not like my XD or Kimber, but ok) but there is one HUGE problem. The trigger and safety....The ONLY safety on the weapon is on the trigger, just like a Glock...GHEY!! Plus the safety hinges at the bottom of the trigger so you can't put your finger in the natural curve of the trigger or it catches. Trigger pull was long, hard and broke like a soggy turd....
    I took it apart and the weapon seemed to be decent but the trigger absolutely sucked! I personally cannot get past the shear stupidity of putting the only safety on the trigger itself. How dumb is that?

I'm slightly disappointed in their weapon choice but when S&W buys you old weapons and give you new M&Ps it's hard to turn down....I'll have to get over it.

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Spitty, good luck in your career pursuit.

I am not real familiar with the MP series. I have handled them and have not been impressed to be honest. I would really consider qualifying with another weapon when you make the force, if that is indeed an option for you.

Any pistol with the lone safety on the trigger is just a plain assnine design and the "engineer" that came up with it needs to be stomped to death by a rampaging elephant.

The .357 Sig is a good round for an officer to be honest. It's no .45 ACP, but what is? :D

Here's a write up done by Massad Ayoob, a guy who knows a thing or two about terminal ballistics.

Choose your ammo...police style by Massad Ayoob Issue #93

As long as you don't need to buy the ammo yourself.

3. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Well,crap. I thought some had an external safety too??

Hmmmm, I don't really care for the m&p's either. If I had to use a polymer pistol it would be an XD hands down.

4. spittinfire

Unfortunately my primary weapon would have to be the M&P. My backup can be anything I want but if it's anything other then 357 Sig, I'm supplying the ammo.

5. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

Some models are available with a manual safety, but it's not standard, Goju.

I love my M&P for the range (It's going to be an IDPA gun as soon as I find the time and a nearby club.), especially the trigger, but I sprang for the Pro series, which overhauls the whole system, so it might be that. But yeah, I gotta agree with Spitty's take on the M&P as a carry gun. Single safety = no go.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  6. spittinfire

I don't require a manual safety, although it is nice, but you could throw a loaded M&P or Glock on the floor and if I decide I want to reach over with a stick and push the trigger, it's going off....not good. A grip safety would solve that problem as would a manual safety.

7. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

Hmmm...The only safety catch is on the trigger ? Where does that leave most revolvers, with no safety at all ? What if you buy a DA semi-auto and carry with the safety off ?

Sounds dangerous to me ! I'm just going to carry a rape whistle instead. (LOL)

These guns were not designed by Fisher Price and, if handled like toys, will fire when you'd rather they didn't.

8. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I have the MP45 with external safety. It is ambidextrous in the same position as a 1911, so I'm very familiar with using it.

Your right the trigger aint no 1911, but once I got used to the break point I came to be comfortable with the long pull. I've been shooting some very good groups with it.

9. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

You can go with the M&P .357 series handgun, with manual thumb safety Spitty. All the other PRO series, including the .40 and .45 are very accurate, reliable and comfortable shooting weapons, with thumb safeties.

Sorry, you might have to rack a slide here to chamber a round.

I think once you start using one and fire it regularly, IMHO you will change your mind about the GHEY BS claim. ;)

Jack

10. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

This is from Buds

Attached Files:

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Guys, this would be an issued weapon, so I don't think Spitty gets to choose one with the added safeties unless that is what the PD purchased.

I can't see any good reason for a police department to purchase a weapon with a lone safety on the trigger. Especially on a striker fired weapon where the weapon is in ready to fire mode.

It's just a plain stupid design. A safety is meant to keep the weapon FROM firing and by placing the damn thing on the trigger you don't understand the friggin problem in the first place.

Why, in the name of all that is considered Holy, would you add an additional mechanism to a trigger?

Is this consistant with a good, steady trigger pull? No.

Is this going to make it a better shooting weapon? No.

Is this going to provide the shooter any real benefit? I got to go with no.

If you are going to go that route, then do what Sig did and don't offer a "safety" and instead offer a decocker. At least then there isn't any misconception about what condition the weapon is in.

Yet another fine abortion brought to you in an effort to "improve" something that wasn't a problem in the first place. :rolleyes:

12. spittinfire

That has to be one of the dumbest statements I've seen on or around this discussion....how is the trigger on a DA revolver or DAO semi auto even remotely close to the trigger on a striker fired weapon? They aren't even compairable in fit or function. Go play with your fisher price oven and keep your rape wistle.

13. jbd

jbd New Member

i had the m&p 9mm for about six months and have shot around 1,000 rounds through it. i shoot very tight groups with it and have had no problems. have love it so far. my 2 cent.

14. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

We're not debating the accuracy or the durability, but the safety features (or lack thereof).

Spitty, taking a page from the Tango playbook, are we?

15. jbd

jbd New Member

just my 2 cent brother.

16. spittinfire

Maybe I was a bit harsh but his statement had nothing to do with anything being discussed here.

17. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

While there is no comparing the trigger pull of a SA pistol like a 1911 to the pull of a striker fired pistol, I personally have no safety issues with the safety being in the trigger, provided you have good trigger discipline.
    Don't put your finger in the trigger guard until you're ready to fire.

Tough concept for some, I guess, but don't pull the trigger unless you want to discharge the weapon.
    Whats the excuse for a ND/AD for a striker pistol?---- "I dont know what happened, I pulled the trigger and the damn thing just went off!":rolleyes:

While a manual safety can save some from stupidity, I wouldn't rely on a manual safety over proper trigger discipline, ever.

Some of the AD/ND ive heard about occurred when the finger is still in the trigger guard or the trigger becomes snagged while reholstering. While a manual safety would prevent this, I dont see how something like the grip safety of an XD would prevent an AD/ND in this scenario.
    Just my .02.

Good luck, hope you get the job, just dont let anyone poke you (or your M&P)with a stick:p

18. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I would agree with your assessment Gate, however, let me ask you this...

If trigger discipline is the only concern to keep the weapon safe, why bother to engineer a safety on the trigger in the first place?

All you are adding is another potential thing that could go wrong, right?

Sig doesn't offer a safety on their "P" line of pistols and no one is having tons of AD/ND's with those being caught on film ( DEA Agent "professional enough" for the LOSS ).

Once again, this is just a solution to a problem that never existed if you just put the safety on the solid, stable frame like it was intended to be in the first place...:cool:

19. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

JD ,
    the only reason I see to place the safety in the trigger is to prevent the pistol from being discharged if dropped. The "safety" lever blocks the rearward movement of the trigger

20. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

And I can agree with you, but a firing pin block or disconnect and a grip safety would achieve the same thing and you wouldn't have to interrupt the smooth travel of the trigger.

I just think the trigger safety is the stupidest thing anyone could have come up with.

Anytime a newb or kid picks up a weapon, what is the first thing they do?

Put their damn finger right on the trigger like they see on TV. :eek:

What good does that trigger safety do now?

Just plain stupid.