S&W M&P15 down grade

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by MobileMarine, May 11, 2011.

1. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

I have a new m&p 15 that has too many legos for my taste . The miles of rails and fancey optics , lights and lasers need to go . I tend to laugh at it when I see it like who ever built it was overcompensating for somthing . My question is whats the diff on all of the ar's ? I want a more conventional iron sights , no rails ect I just want a no b/s ar that looks more like a standard issue back in vietnam or somthing , you know the lil triangular front with the carry handle on the rear like gump had .
    [​IMG]

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

To do that you will need a barrel nut with delta ring an end cap a triangle front sight base a ar barrel wrench and some sort of barrel or upper vice tool. And a different upper reciever either a1 or a2.

Of course if its been converted to a crappy piston system thats a whole different set of parts.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

4. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

that century is just what i want to do . i dont think the barrel on mine is factory , i would almost do a even swap out on the parts , i would hate to trade the whole gun . mine is still running a gas tube , could i make use of the rail and @ least make it look somethin like it ? the butt stock is no problem

5. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

Based only on the fact that the laser on that rifle is an NC-Star, and the rail panels are UTG. I think it would be safe to assume that the rest of the stuff would also be Chicom junk as well. In that light, I think it would be safe to simply throw that stuff away without worrying about losing any inherent value that it may have. Then use your upper, stripped of all that JUNK, as a starting point to build what you want. You will need to get a front sight base and get it pinned. You can get the Triangular carbine hand guards here,

PK Firearms | Online Store .

They also have the butt stock

http://www.pkfirearms.com/Fixed_Stocks/8/c

That should get you going in the right direction

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Marine.

My suggestion would be the following.

1. Sell the upper and all the accessories on your rifle. You will get more than enough money to buy the upper assembly you want and have some change left over. That is a nice rifle.

2. Sell the entire rifle and go find you a Colt SP-1 which is exactly what you want and also would be an investment for you. They are becoming collectors pieces. Look just like the M-16 A-1 Used in Vietnam only semi auto.
    Has the triangular handguard. You should look on Gun Broker or other places and get an idea of price on a SP-1 in excellent condition. You should be able to get enough out of yours to possibly by one.

3. Let the guys and gals on the FTF know you would like to do some trading for the complete upper assembly you want. Someone may have a 20" With the Standard Sight and Carry Handle that wants a shorter barreled upper in the flat top configuration. And sell the accessories separate. $$$$

4. Buying parts to convert yours, having extra parts. This in my opinion would not be worth the hassle and the cost.

7. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

what would you guys think mine is worth ? I have seen jus tthe gun on g/b from 850-1200.00 plain jane . In my book if your going to molest a gun then do it to a 10/22 ak or sks , leave the classics alone .could it be a even swap or would some one need to come off some cash ? , heck i would trade it for a mini14 and or a lever gun or m1 . I may also consider trade for a low serial number thompson M1928A1 it does not have to be perfect condition

8. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Someone will come along and let you bend them over on the rifle. Most will look at all that Airsoft addons and instantly dismiss the entire rifle. Your best bet would be to ask for what you feel comfortable w/ and go from there.

How did you end up w/ the rifle?

I agree that the Century Arms SP-1ish AR would be the way to go for you.

9. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

I traded a old ditch witch for it . Im going to put it up @ my local gun shop for sale or trade , I kinda figure its worth two guns , here is what I want

#1 lever gun ' make or model does not matter '
    #2 ak
    #3 mini 14
    #4 M1 'any'
    #5 judge
    #6 RI 1911 in 45
    #7 siaga 12
    Even trade
    #1 sp1
    #2 tommy gun ' any '
    #3 ar10 any

Im I out of my mind on any of these ?

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Im curious to see what you end up getting for it. Im thinking $500-$650.

11. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Here's What You Do:

1.) Take off those accessories IMMEDIATELY! ! !

2.) If you're hurting for $cash$ sell the upper. If not keep it and put a decent forearm and sighting system.

3.) Find an A1 upper, (not hard) triangular hand-guards, 20" barrel, "Roll-Marked" lower of your choice (Colt, Armalite, other vintage option) and all of the other necessary parts to complete an "old-school" build.

:)

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

MM, I kinda doubt you'll get two guns that you want for it but who knows. Really depends on whether you find a buyer who likes what he sees. I'd probably try to sell it as it is, if you strip everything off you've got to find handguards and some kind of iron sights or sell it stripped or as optics ready. To me it's not a desireable gun so I just don't know how to go about getting the best price out of it.

Looks like a ban state AR since it doesn't have a muzzle device or bayonet lug, unfortunately you're selling it in a non-ban state so that'll likely hurt you on price.

13. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Ummmm, yeah you are. . . I wouldn't give you any of the listed items for that AR with out an extra hundred or two to go along w/ it, and two??? :eek:

I'd definitely be beggin' someone to trade me for a decent AK and be happy to get that!

14. orangello

orangello New Member

Surely he could pick up a WASR10 & some ammo in a swap.

15. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

I know we have our own opinions but c'mon I know its a grown mans lego set but It's still a decent gun , I dont like it but someone will fall for it again like I did and the owner before me did , Im going in tomar to put it on consignment - sale or trade at a local tactical gun shop and to price out the tommy guns , I found a few on g/b for 7-800 .
    I dont think a thompson will get picked on too bad

16. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I guess if you're looking to sucker some inexperienced shooter into buying, then you could probably do so. . . you just have to understand that quality parts and materials are available for a GOOD solid build basically EVERYWHERE and in EVERY flavor at the moment, all for a decent buck as well.

I traveled down the AR isle last weekend, just to see what was available. . . There's plenty for $750 or so that have matching receivers, threaded barrels and good forearms.

If you think it's a great gun, keep it. Otherwise be happy to get $600 for it. . . I know it hurts, but we've all been burned at some point!

Good luck!

17. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

The M1 is the only one on the list you might or should even think about having to throw in some boot for. All the others couldn't hold a candle to your Smith tactically. But hey, just like the other advice, jmo. Oh yeah, ditch the cheap light and put on a SureFire.

18. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

it is a surefire , i like it more than the whole gun or the night vision . Hell you dont even need nightvision with a sure fire .
    To me , ar's are like opinions & a$$holes , everyone has one lol . I think my mind is made up , get as much as I can and buy a auto ordnance thomson .If i need a hp rifle ill get out the safari 7mag or one of the sks's . After all the ar will be the last gun in my barn i pick up for defense or a zombie attack

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  19. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

That sounds great! Good luck with your new endeavor.

20. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

You can get a Spikes for around $700 - $800. Hell you can pick up a BCM for $850 new and its one of the few at the top of the pecking order. Like I said in my first post some sucker will come along you can pray on.

We're just being honest in an attempt to help a fellow member.