S&W M&P R8 .357 magnum - Hands-on reviews?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by drkknight196, Oct 22, 2013.

1. drkknight196

drkknight196 New Member

I'm very interested in adding this revolver to my collection as a tribute to the first S&W Model 10 .38 Special (with "bull" barrel) that I carried in 1976 as a rookie patrol officer. I would appreciate all hands-on feedback, pro or con. Thanks in advance!

2. JW357

JW357 New Member

I've never even seen one in a gun store, let alone held or shot one. I would love to have one.

Welcome to the forum, by the way. Please stop by the introduction area and tell us a bit about yourself, if you intend to stick around.

Subbing for people's thoughts!

3. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Can't speak directly to the M&P model, but it's cousin, the 627 PC is a blast. If I had it to do over, I'd still do it. It appears (to me at least) the R8 is essentially a 327 with an accessory rail. I shoot pins (shot? It's been a few months) with a couple 327 owners, they love them. It's because of them, I bought my 627 PC.
    The 8 shot S&Ws seem to be generally well received all around. The only complaints I hear are over the prices.

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

Yes, I last the prices would come down. I'll still probably own one someday. I just old to not have to sell off my first born in order to do so.

The S&W 8 shot .357 wheel guns are my ideal open carry gun. I just have to live in a place where that's legal.

5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Are you full set on a 357 revolver it would be the 327 trr8 . The no lug version. Personal if a s&w had to be bought it would be a 625 JM 45acp revolver knowing it will function fine with +P BB, DT and underwood loads. maybe 45super.

6. JW357

JW357 New Member

For what its worth:

I found this thread on the S&W forum earlier today. I read through all the responses so far. Some people are having issues with their R8s. My opinion is probably a bad batch was sent out. It certainly wouldn't steer me away from the gun, I would just keep sending it back to S&W if I had to, in order to get it fixed properly. It would probably only require one time sent in.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1980-present/339272-very-unhappy-r8-owner.html

7. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Many choices, indiana, washington, idaho, montana, Wyoming, and more

8. drkknight196

drkknight196 New Member

Well, after digesting your feedback and a great deal of research I've changed my mind about the R8. Now I can't seem to keep my eyes off of the S&W 629 V-Comp!

9. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

The S&W 629 V-Comp is an awesome weapon.

I was out turkey hunting in the Pocono Mnts. of PA today, packing my Savage Model 24 in a .223/12 ga. configuration, with my S&W Model 19-3 on my right hip, incase I came upon a sow with cubs or some other varmint that wouldn't give way.

I had a HUGE Gray Squirrel giving me the "stink eye" at approx. 30 yards and almost had to draw on him! The R8 0r 629 V-Comp would have given some real peace of mind also!:eek:

Thank God push didn't come to shove!!

10. Mercator

Mercator New Member

In Indiana on paper. You will be confronted by police. If public display of a big magnum revolver is essential to you, look elsewhere.

11. phildenton

phildenton New Member

In many open carry places you will be confronted by police, its just a fact of life nowadays, the sheep are everywhere.

12. 1911love

1911love New Member

I have eyeballed the R8 and TRR8 for a while now. About six months ago I saw a TRR8 at the LGS. At $750 I couldn't say no.

I chose the TRR8 over the R8 because the rails are removable. I don't plan on mounting any lights, lasers, or optics on it, so I just leave the rails off.

She shoots like a dream. .38s are super light shooting and .357s are pretty tame too thanks to it being an N frame. The trigger is super smooth and has a clean break. The grip is really nice too. I also like how easy the brass bead front sight is to see.

I've had no problems with her. She always gets lots of looks at the range. Overall, I'm glad I bought it and she seems to follow me to every range outing. I would highly recommend one. The only con I can think of is the price.

These were developed in response to a problem NYPD swat guys were having. When using a shield, their semi autos were malfunctioning because of the slide hitting the shield after firing. They told S&W they needed a high capacity revolver with the ability to mount lights and lasers. S&W then came up with the R8 and TRR8.

13. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

eatmydust How would you have know if you hit that pore tree rat. He would have just vaporized. maybe a few hairs floating on the wind.