S&W M&P First Problem In 7000+ Rounds

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by dnthmn2004, Jun 20, 2010.

1. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

At a recent range trip, my M&P started "malfunctioning". If I slam home a full mag, the slide is released, chambering a round. I think this is not normal. Any advise?

2. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Slide release/catch is (probably) getting a little worn.

The inertia of slamming the mag home hard, will jar the slide release enough to allow it to move downward as the mag slams home, chambering a round.

Some guys shooting competition like this, as it makes slide lock reloads a little faster. My Kimber will do it occasionally if I slam the mags home very hard but the catch is still working properly, it holds the slide open after the last shot everytime, and only drops the slide if I really hit a mag in there hard enough to jar the release free.

If you're concerned, I'd check and change out the slide release.

3. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I have heard of people wanting a feature like that and also some Smith people saying it was a feature. But it didn't do it before so I don't think it's the case. If it was me I'd get me another slide lock or send it to Smith and have therm put one in.:)

4. GMACK

GMACK New Member

Send it back to S&W and let them fix it.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Many handguns will do that. Some when new, some when they get broken in. The slide stop may be worn, the slide notch it engages into may be worn. IMHO this is not really a "problem". Seating mags with force to insure they are properly seated will allow this to happen eventually on almost any handgun.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  6. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Cool. I guess I'll just keep it the way it is until the slide doesn't lock back after the last round.

Thanks guys!

7. RJCXJ

RJCXJ New Member

That's what I would do, but then again, I really like it when it slides forward and chambers when I slam the new mag in as opposed to a more gentle loading that leaves the breach open.

Not a good feature for people that have the bad habit of leavin their finger on the trigger. Seen that one. (But then they have a different problem)

Great gun!

8. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Slide bumps loose after 7000 rounds. Must be a lemon. I'm feeling generous today, so I'll take the headache off your hands for $50.

9. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

If I'm ever hard up for cash, I'll keep you in mind ;). But I think I'll hold onto it for now. As far as a lemon? Maybe. I'll be shooting an email to S&W.

10. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

With a lightning quick response from S&W, I recieved this today. My question is weather the magazine drop was an intentional design, or if my M&P needed a repair trip to S&W.

I am very happy/surprised now. Glad I don't have to ship it out.

11. TOF

TOF New Member

If you ever want a new release without shipping it to S&W, Brownells stocks them. Approx $12 and relatively easy to install.