S&W M&P AR 15 Sport

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by glockguy22, Feb 15, 2012.

1. glockguy22

glockguy22 New Member

So at tge end of July I'm getting the m&p 15 sport and I was wondering if anyone has anything good or bad to say about it before I get it. I plan on using it for home protection, target shooting, and deer hunting.

2. fmj

fmj New Member

Deer hunting with a .223?? Not my first choice!

ANYWHO...i have looked at the M&P and decided against the sport model because it doesnt have a forward assist.

3. glockguy22

glockguy22 New Member

I have other guns for deer hunting I just like a good challenge. As for the forward assist I have read that is really not needed unless u are in extreme combat and I don't plan on that at anytime soon

4. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I have one and haven't had any problems what so ever. I love it, for the money, it's hard to beat. I put 1000 rounds down the melenite* barrel the first week I had it without cleaning it and it looked like was brand new. No residue down the barrel or anything. The feed ramp was a little dirty but that was it

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

S&W is stepping up their AR game. Some still advise against them but at the $600 price point it might be worth a go. If later on you want a FA you can always change out upper receivers or get a second complete upper.

6. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

That's what I did. Love the versatility

7. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Most don't use it even then. Easier to just eject the round.

8. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

That's my method but a very good usage was pointed out to me a few days ago, chamber checks. I do it all the time w/ my handguns but for whatever reason never w/ rifles. Chamber checks can be useful.

9. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

I just feel kinda skiddish about using the forward assist after seeing a blown up receiver at BNCOC in'06 that was attributed to it. I would rather not have one on my gun.

10. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

The M&P15 sport is a good solid accurate rifle that is being bought now well under 600 dollars. And S&W is one of few that make all there metal parts for the rifle unlike most all others. And like other ARs, parts are interchangeable.

11. Smee112488

Smee112488 New Member

I just bought one last week. So far I'm very pleased with it. Shooting wal-mart Remington bullets I was shooting a whole clip minus one that I snatched in a 4 in. paper plate at 200 yds. Saturday I'm gonna try 300 and 400 with it. For the money it's hard to beat them.