S&W M&P 9 vs Glock 17

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Magnum27, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

So I was 100% sold on getting a Glock 17/19 and then went to the range today and shot a G19 and SW MP .40 and the SW was much better to me. The range had the SW 9 booked and I will be comparing the Glock 17 to the SW 9 before I buy. However what are your thoughts on the better gun?

2. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

I owned a 17 hated it because of the trigger. My finger was always hunting. I just recently picked up the M&P 45 and love it. For me the feel of the Smith is far better than the Glock. Being that I also own a Hi-Power I don't have to adjust my mind set switching between the two. But I do think you should definitely try them both out because everyone is different. Both are fine guns and I never doubted that Glock would get me out of a sticky situation should it had arose, but in the end just could never get over the trigger.

3. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Follow ur heart, comfort and budget on the gun! Dont worry about what ppl say. Im a Glock lover ;)

4. STONEHOMBRE

STONEHOMBRE New Member

IMHO u really can't go wrong with either. I am partial to the glock. Hell just buy both.

5. jamesb

jamesb New Member

I enjoy both, but would take the M&P 9 myself. I much prefer the grip on the M&P with the small backstrap. It feels great in the hand, very pointable. I also feel like I am able to get a higher grip which allows better control. I really love mine as you can see by me whoring out this photo.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  6. GLOCK17OD

GLOCK17OD New Member

GLOCK has better ammo cap and its the original style that s&w copied with their frame. So with that said I would have to go with the firearm that made the m&p possible and say GLOCK

7. jamesb

jamesb New Member

:rolleyes:

You do realize that they feel totally different right? Glock was one of the first with the polymer lower ( I know HK came first, but still), but that doesn't make it the end all be all pistol that everyone needs to own. I'm not knocking them at all, hell i've owned maybe 10 or so, but to say what you did makes no sense.

So you're saying even if the M&P was a better firearm you would still go with Glock just because they were before the M&P? If you said it fit you better, you shot them better, etc. then that would be grounds for you to choose that option. But the reasons you did give, make me think you're biased.

Ammo capacity? My full size M&P holds 17 +1, just like my Glock 17 did.

8. GLOCK17OD

GLOCK17OD New Member

my GLOCK 17 hold 19 +1 but that's with plus two. I am making the point I always make. I would rather go with the original than a copy. I like GLOCK better I have fired the m&p and it does fit my hand well I simply like my GLOCK more. It's all about dependability and trust. I know my GLOCK will go bang whenever I pull the trigger even if its wet or dirty. When compared to any hand gun ill pick the one that does it all.

9. jamesb

jamesb New Member

Like I said, it works better for you and you like it more. That is fine. I prefer the looks of my M&P over the Glock. No gun is the end all, be all though. I've had some feeding issues with my 34 and 17. My other Glocks have been flawless as many other firearms i've owned.

I agree. You need to be able to depend on your firearm. With that said, just because most Glocks function perfectly, don't automatically expect your firearm to. It needs to be tested with your carry ammo. I personally don't carry a firearm until I have at least 400 flawless rounds through it. I've seen videos of Glocks not firing in sand/dirt/mud. There is always the possibility that something will not work in its intended way.

My Glock 34 and 17 didn't meet this requirement. The M&P this time has and continues to function wonderfully. I also prefer the trigger more.

Don't get into 1911s then. You would have to own a Colt and by your logic of having to go with the original over a copy, a Wilson Combat, Les Baer, Ed Brown, and others just wont do. ;)

10. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Glock IS NOT the ORIGINAL Tupperware, it's just a copy.

My HK does the same thing, devoid of lube and full of carry lint.

11. GLOCK17OD

GLOCK17OD New Member

Let me stop this right here. I am not going to attack anyone else. I do not like opinions base on me personally or attacks on my post. You guys are offended and talk crap so easily you tell me what you want me to post. Better yet try to get along or don't read my threads. I only want to make friends. I have never had an issue discussing these topics in real life but suddenly mo one like the way I talk or some one doesn't like GLOCK or some other BS. I like to talk about about one type of gun in particular and yall know what that's. I can't help it if it offends you or you don't like the way I respond when you talk crap. So therefore I am not going to respond to any negative personal comments. If you have a gun comment of any kind I don't care but if you say stupid stuff about me ill say something to you. Thanks have a nice day

12. BarryNiven

BarryNiven New Member

Can't go wrong either way.

13. GLOCK17OD

GLOCK17OD New Member

I like some of the feature of S&W bit not all of them. GLOCK has no features and has to have the cool add ons I think. Like the tac light

14. jamesb

jamesb New Member

I'm not talking crap. I've posted concise, informative replies with some ideas, opinions, and thoughts. Relax....i'm not attacking you personally.

With that said...everyone's opinion differs. Nobody will ever be able to please everyone else. I enjoy a wide array of firearms and try not to limit myself to one brand or type. It has helped me find guns I would have never given the time of day to.

15. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Unfortunately there's a party in this thread that cannot handle rational thought, data, or legitimate fact.

The owner of our local forum once intervened in a situation with this.

It is a private forum, open to public use. If you don't want to hear opinions, especially those that are against your opinion ... feel free not to post.

16. GLOCK17OD

GLOCK17OD New Member

Feel free not to make statements that challenge me or my way of writing or you can go

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

please stick to the question of the OP and help him with thoughtful on topic opinions based on facts or experience.

18. jamesb

jamesb New Member

I am ;)

OP - you already said you really liked the way the S&W felt and shot. If you like it over the Glock then go for it!

From my experience, fit and finish is a better on the M&P, reliability so far is equal to many of my Glocks and surpasses others, and the ergonomics of the grip, at least for me, feels much better. Between the original owner and me there is almost 900 rounds through it without one failure of any type.

I think you've made your decision already :D

19. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

You answered your question right there, but since you asked, I will give my opinion.

I used to HATE Glock, I mean absolutely hate them. Wouldn't buy once, shoot one, or even touch one lest I might catch some terrible illness. Then one day I picked one up, played with it a bit, ended up actually like it and buying it. It was a Glock 17. Shot it a while, liked it, so I bought another for carry, a Glock 26.

A couple months back I was at another local gun store, and they had a little cardboard display on the counter that had 3 plastic M&Ps, each with the different backstrap. I picked up the small, liked it. Picked up the medium, liked it more, but when I picked up the one with the large backstrap, I kid you not a ray of sunshine shined down one me, and angels came down and sang to me. I knew I had to have it. So I traded in my Glock 17 and bought a M&P9 with no thumb safety, mag disconnect or frame lock, and couldn't be happier.

Don't get me wrong, I like Glocks, and will recommend them, but I like M&Ps more. They fit my hand better, I like the aggressive slide serrations, I like the ambi slide lock, I prefer the trigger, plus a few other things.

I still carry that Glock 26, but when funds allow I'm gonna pick up a M&P9c that will be my new EDC once it's proved reliable, and the Glock will probably get moved to a truck gun.

In the end, it doesn't matter what we like, it's all about what makes a ray of sunshine shine down upon you and angels come and sing you a song. :D

-Fred

20. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

Thanks for the info everyone. This was the first time I EVER shot and I don't think 50 rounds in each gun gives me enough feedback so I wanted people's personal thoughts. They also were of different calibers so I thought that could make a difference as well.

I understand it is always a personal choice but that doesn't mean the individual thoughts people have on the subject aren't insightful or interesting.