s&w m&p 40 vs XD 40 vs. XDS 45.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by malmais, Feb 9, 2014.

1. malmais

malmais New Member

This is a general question I'm looking at a new handgun and I'm stuck between these 3 handguns. So if anyone has any of these guns could you tell me what you like and don't like about your gun and if they've jammed or cause any problems

2. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

This depends entirely on what you want.

If you value slim and sub-compact carry, XDs45 wins hands down. It's a good gun and the other two aren't nearly as tiny and (for most) convenient to conceal in any attire. For a do-it-all utility pistol, the XDs comes in last place. I would never choose one as a primary HD, woods, or range gun. It's a carry specific design. It's great in that role, and less than ideal in any other.

I would prefer an M&P40 to an XD40. But I would choose an XDm over the M&P. Probably not so coincidentally, the prices you'll see on these guns are likely to reflect those preferences. These are all good pistols (and there are probably a dozen or so similarly priced polymers of similar quality worth considering as well). The decision should be dictated entirely by your personal preferences.

3. freetobefree

freetobefree New Member

I've not owned the m&p so no comment on that but I have carried the xd 40 sub compact and sold it and now I carry the xds 45... as far as my option on the 2 ... I really liked the 40 sub comp.. but it was a double stack and a bit wide to comfortably carry... the xds ( as said above is an ideal carry with a big bite) but I will say of all the guns I own the xds is my edc... camping... CC... hunting back up... fishing.. everything... and it holds up to its name... extreme duty

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Firearms Talk mobile app

4. malmais

malmais New Member

Thank you both very much I've been leaning towards the XDS and your comments have answered my questions thank you.

Sent from my SCH-R740C using Firearms Talk mobile app

5. freetobefree

freetobefree New Member

Anytime..

More people armed, less crime...
    Less people armed, more crime...
    you can't have both!! ( Ted Nugent)

6. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I actually just got rid of my M&P 40c, it was a very nice gun, it felt good, shot good, and they look really good. I only got rid of it because I had a chance to get a Springfield Armory "Loaded" 1911. Now I have never been a fan of the XD, but its just personal preference, I just dont like the way that they feel or look, ive had 2 XD40s and didnt keep them very long