S&W M&P 40 trigger question

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson Forum' started by wittmeba, Aug 3, 2013.

1. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

Just got a M&P 40 and only have about 80 rounds thru it. The trigger pull is long and strong.

Who has had a trigger job done and how much are they really worth? Who does good work? Will Smith & Wesson do it?

2. JW357

JW357 New Member

A lot of people go with Apex trigger kits. I have an M&P9c without anything done to the trigger, but I only have around 300-400 rounds through it. I've heard from a lot of M&P owners the triggers get nicer when around 1000 rounds have been through them. I'm sure its actually significantly less than that, but 1000 is just a nice even number.

3. Donn

Donn Active Member

JW's right, the M&P trigger will work itself in. A lot of guys advocate the Apex kit. The caveat with that is, should you ever have to use your piece in a SD situation and wind up in court, the prosecutor or Mr. Bad Guy's lawyer can use any mods performed on your gun as proof you are a gunslinger, out looking for trouble. There are those in this forum who will poo-poo that, but it's a fact of life depending where you live.

4. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

False and a total urban myth. Remember, not everything you read on the internet is true. There is no case law or precedence ANYWHERE in ANY court showing modifications to a gun can be used against you. I've installed countless Apex kits into M&P pistols with awesome results for customers. Do it and thank me later.

5. StLshooter

StLshooter New Member

I took my CCW class at a shooting range ran by local police officers. My instructor told us to never carry a gun with a trigger job. The Missouri lawyer in the video we watched said the same thing. They also said never use reloads in your EDC.

6. KingGlamis

KingGlamis New Member

I did the Apex trigger kit and love it. I would think there is nothing they can legally do to you as long as the trigger modification is 100% legal, which it is. It doesn't convert the gun to full-auto or burst, just lightens the pull a little.

7. StLshooter

StLshooter New Member

I know it's legal and I have no problem with someone doing any kind of mods to their firearm. The instructor was just saying it may look bad to a jury If you shot someone in a self defense situation. Someone on a jury that knows nothing about firearms and has never fired a gun could be easily convinced by a lawyer that you are just looking for trouble. I get called into jury duty every three years and I get picked every time. I've seen how easily some jurors are persuaded. I want to get the apex trigger kit on my SD9. It's not my EDC, just a home defense/plinking gun.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  8. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

WOW - lots of pros and cons.

I was just thinking about the trigger job for the benefit of target shooting as that is (at this time) all that I do. Pulling a stiff and long draw trigger does not improve accuracy.

I know from reading that good attorneys will use anything they can if it seems like it will work in their favor to win their case. Even the possibility of comments and signature statements from a forum like this - may contain comments that may be used against you.

Thanks for the feedback.

9. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

If your attorney allows evidence like this to be used against you, you need a different attorney. One that doesn't suck.

10. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

11. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Not to be an sanity the link explains the two pretty well for what they are used for primarily.

12. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

I was really looking for an expansion on the description - someone with experience of one or the other.

I don't know enough to assess the 3.5# vs 5.0# trigger pull. I have fired a gun with a hair-trigger and it was pretty cool. I do not know what the trigger pull rating was on that gun. Perhaps in daily carry this would be dangerous. It seems 3.5# is still reasonable but I just don't know.

Anyone installed the 5.5# and wish they had the 3.5#?

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

What will the gun be used for? If its a duty or concealed carry piece (I know its a full sized but some people would make it work) I would personally get the heavier trigger. For range or target or competition use, the lighter trigger will work well.

Take I say with a grain of salt though, as all my guns have a stock trigger.

14. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

Thanks for the additional input.

On Edit - received this from S&W:

===
    Subject: M&P 40 trigger

Dear Customer,

We do not sale a trigger kit, I believe Wolfe does but it would void the warranty on the gun.

If further assistance is required please reply accordingly.

Sincerely,

Michael DiFiore
    ===

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  15. Polygon

Polygon New Member

A few months ago I was passing around that crap as well. I bought into the idea that gun modifications could increase your chances of going to jail. Then I was challenged with a post like this on a Facebook page. I went to find evidence where that was the case. After two days of searching I couldn't find anything.

I agree with the above completely. As long as your modifications are safe then this won't be an issue as long as it was a good shoot. If you get sent to jail, then it was because there were other questions. Not because you changed you grips, had a trigger job, changed your sights, etc.

16. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

Thanks to you and AA for posting your findings.

Urban Myths spread like wildfire. That's why Snopes.com is so busy :) But I do think a good (or bad) lawyer may bring these alterations if allowed into the discussion if they feel it will give their arguments any strength - right or wrong.

I did like one reply - might have been in this thread - "Well, I didn't want to miss and hit an unintended object/person in the background". Works for me.