S&W M&P - 15 Stock flash suppressor

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Tmac12, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Tmac12

Tmac12 New Member

Hey guys,

It has been quite awhile since I have last been on here and while in the Middle East on business I now have a lot of free time. Perks of being in Saudi. I am in the process of setting up a trust so I can purchase a suppressor for my AR as well as other things and I am trying to get setup before I run the marathon that is The govt approval process. My question is this: is the flash suppressor on a stock M&P - 15 Sport (I purchased in 2008) welded or would I be able to replace it with a proper adapter for a suppressor by simply using a tool to take it off? Or if I am completely in left field on that can any of you suggest what I should do. Looking to get an AAC can for it. I will post a picture of my AR so the picture can do a better job at explaining what I have. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Tyler

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1390506157.351269.jpg

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Typically not welded.

Just need a wrench a vice and some wooden blocks with slight groove to clamp the barrel.

Having a buddy hold the gun and twist can do serious damage to the upper receiver and torque the help out of the gas system leading to all sort of fun hard to resolve issues.

Also an upper receiver block or receiver vice is not for attaching or removing muzzle devices as it can cause the same issues as bubbaing it off with a buddy

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014

3. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Many barrels measuring ~14.5" do have the muzzle device pinned/welded (some do not, but often the more reputable manufacturers will). I'm not aware of S&W's tendencies. Rarely will a 16" barrel have a fixed muzzle brake. I might be wrong, but it appears yours is a 16".

If you have any interest in .30-cal rifles (especially 300blk, and even 308), it could benefit you to investigate a 7.62 suppressor. That's the next one I'll buy. They may be a bit more expensive than a .224 suppressor, but they'll generally perform equally well with a 5.56 or .30-cal rifle. And 300blk's performance lends itself to suppression far better than 5.56. If you're gonna pay a buncha money only to wait 10 months, you may as well come away with the most versatile setup possible...at least that's my thinking.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

.30cal suppressors perform better with 556/223 than .22cal suppressors due to the larger volume. The advantage of smaller 223 suppressors is weight. None are quieter than the bigger 30cals.

5. Tmac12

Tmac12 New Member

Guys,

Thank you for your input I greatly appreciate it. As soon as I get back from Mars (Saudi) I will try the suggestions. Yeah I am leaning towards a .30 cal suppressor because I also have a Socom II that is unbearably loud so that is an option as well. Thank you again guys for all your input.

Cheers,

Tyler