S&W M&P 15-22 picky ammo?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by jack80, Feb 21, 2013.

1. jack80

jack80 New Member

Just purchased a 15-22 because I like to shoot and ammo is just too damn expensive right now. It seems Ike a decent rifle for a little over $400. But I'm having trouble with it not fully ejecting. I was wondering if this gun likes a certain ammo better than others. Anyone have any experience with this?

2. BZ3

BZ3 New Member

It likes high velocity ammo

3. 762

762 Member

i dont have a M&P (yet) but my savage is very picky. it'll only shoot these federals i found that have a copper jacket. it'll shoot ANY high velocity ammo like BZ3 noted.

4. jack80

jack80 New Member

image-1274297280.jpg

I've been using these. Maybe I just need to break it in good? Only have about 150 rounds through it

5. basscat89

basscat89 New Member

I got my m&p 15-22 about 3 months ago for the same reason. I haven't had any trouble with mine, but I seen on another forum that people with the same problem were sending there guns to smith&wesson, and they were fixing the problem and throwing in a extra mag for the trouble. It might be something you want to look into.

6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Thats your problem right there , I have 1000 rds of remington that wont cycle thru my .22lr converted AR , Winchester 333's or 555's shoot best without any hiccups followed by bulk federal . Put the remingtons in and it just chokes all over its self .

7. godale

godale New Member

while i have only shot and owned marlins never saw a marlin like the remmy ammo. sons girlfriend has the smith& wesson they shoot ferderal bulk in the blue box

8. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Mine likes everything but the Remington.

9. FishinLuke

FishinLuke New Member

You need to read your owners manual it tells you what ammo to avoid and that is one of them i believe. Mine has shot great, no problems here, people just need to take the time and read the manual.

Another thing to verify is whether your bolt spring is blue in color or not. The springs on the earlier models ha problems, and s&w change them out for the blue ones. If yours isn't blue send it in to s&w for a free warranty fix.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I wont even buy the bulk Rems anymore. My wifes M&P eats everything I have fed it but it did balk on Velocitors. They were too hot. It even ate some Winchesters that my 10-22 would not function with. Needles to say I have not fed it any Rems. I had too many problems with them like loose bullets and a 20%+ fail to fire rate. I had to use them up in a bolt action and do restrikes.

11. FishinLuke

FishinLuke New Member

My experiences with Remington rim fires as well.

12. jack80

jack80 New Member

Thanks for the info guys. I bought some federal and I'm gonna try it out. It's hard to even find 22 ammo these days so I've just been shooting what I could find. I'll avoid the Remington from now on though.

13. TheDesertFox

TheDesertFox New Member

Dont use remington 550. It's not reliable and is very poor quality. The Federal bulk .22LR pack(dont remember round #) is much better and is the same price most of the time

14. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

My wife has one and it will fire just about anything. It would have an occasional issue with Winchester white box, but I typically only shoot CCI 40grain as it never malfunctions with them. I've also shot Thunderbolts, M22 Winchester, Federal, Blazer, just about every brand out there. I just stick with 40 grain whatever brand I get

15. dan01

dan01 New Member

Has anyone tried the New Improved Remington Golden Bullets yet?

I managed to stock up 4k of Federal and Winchester 36g HV HPs And have been rationing them......I have seen the new Remington ammo, but the price is still too high....Another couple of months till things look better.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  16. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

Prices are only jacked up where the masses shop. I bought 500 rounds of CCI Standard Velocity last week for $42.

17. nixfix

nixfix New Member

Not sure where you live, but here in VA $42 for CCI-SV is about $15 too much.

18. jack80

jack80 New Member

Prices are getting ridiculous. I saw one place selling 50 rounds for $10

19. Blackbeard1718

Blackbeard1718 New Member

I broke my 15-22 in with Win 555 Ammo, and haven't had any problems. I used to shoot Remmy Ammo years ago... and it jammed in everything I put it in. I now use, Win, Fed & CCI.

Take the Remmy Ammo you have left over, and see if some Single-Shot Rifle or Revolver Shooters, may trade you something Shootable for it. Worth a try!

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB

20. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

That's only .08 cent a round. I wasn't buying in bulk, as they still have amount restrictions in place. Before all this crap I was buying 50 round boxes in 10 box bricks for .06 cent prior to all this. I had been also buying, from walmart when they had it, 50 round boxzes in 10 pack case for .04 cent each.....but those were like Remington stingers and Winchester black box. It's stayed about .06 forever, and the .08 most are happy to pay being it's hard to find the .22 than it is the .223