Firearms Talk banner

S&W Letters, are they worth it?

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Dallas53 
#1 ·
I have an old .38/44 Outdoorsman, from the late 1930s, bought by my Dad in 1942, and never out of family hands since. It is in great shape, but the original box is kind of rough. Is a Letter of Authenticity from Smith going to substantially increase the value? otherwise, why pay $75 for the letter?
Tool Metal Composite material Knife Font

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
JMHO, a serious S&W collector may pay more for the gun, but
you're probably going to get what you get for the gun,
letter or not.
If the box were in better shape, and the pistol was LNIB,
with original paperwork, that might increase sale value.
IME, folks are cheap,and they are going to nitpick every
defect, in order to get the best price possible. I doubt
anybody's going to say "OH, you have a letter from
S&W! Well, then, THAT changes everything . . .".

I can't imagine a situation which would make me want to part with
such a nice family heirloom.

#3 ·
to a collector, or serious buyer, the letter may have some worth since it proves when the pistol was made. for some pistols depending upon how collectable it is, it may be very important to it's value. it all depends upon the pistol and the potential buyer.

#6 ·
in the end, since you don't plan on selling the pistol, only you can determine whether the letter of authenticity is worth the cost.

i was kind of hoping you weren't selling the pistol, and were just asking out of curiousity.

Reactions: Tyrsgodi
#7 ·
Dallas is right on, am glad this is not a price hunting expedition. I feel the letter is for my benefit, am completing the paperwork to get a letter on one of my SAA right now, I know the pistol spent it’s life on a Texas Ranch so will be interesting to see where it was sold. I will keep the pistol and letter together until time to pass all the firearms on to friends and family.

#8 ·
Dallas is right on, am glad this is not a price hunting expedition. I feel the letter is for my benefit, am completing the paperwork to get a letter on one of my SAA right now, I know the pistol spent it’s life on a Texas Ranch so will be interesting to see where it was sold. I will keep the pistol and letter together until time to pass all the firearms on to friends and family.
This is my provenance "letter", a photo of my Dad on the range, with this revolver. Ulrich A. Geller, All American rifle Team, 1942, serious shooter.

Attachments

#9 ·
i kind of thought about it some, and maybe a letter from S&W might be a novel addition to the pistol when you pass it along at some time to one of your heirs. it would provide a little bit of some of the pistol's history and backstory.

Reactions: Ibmikey
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.