S&W Classic reissues

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Stevie, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Stevie

Stevie New Member

How do you people fell about smith and wessons classic reissue line?I had a late 70's made Model 10 and really liked it,and I would like to get a classic reissue Model 27,but I have no idea if these reissues are anywhere near the quality of the originals.I would like to hear what you guys and gals have to say about them.

2. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

It's a Smith & Wesson, you won't have any problems. But be aware that the safety lock "can" be a neussence.

3. Hammerdown

Hammerdown New Member

Hello Stevie
    I much Prefer the Originals. Here is my First Year issued Registered Magnum from 1935 one of 715 Built that first Year, and it's Grandson a Pre-27 That shipped in 1955... Hammerdown

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The reissued "Classics" do not have the safety lock. They are true to the original design. The only thing that keeps me from buying 3 or 4 to add to my N-frame collection is the price.

5. Mark F

That's good to know! I have a 329PD with that stupid safety lock and it's a pain in the butt sometimes...

6. Stevie

Stevie New Member

Unless S&W has recentlychanged the safety arrangement on these revolvers,then robo i'am afraid your mistaken because right here in smiths 2009 catologe the locks are right on the guns by the latch, and in a article in the catologe Gary James mentions the locks being on the reissues.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Perhaps it was just wishful thinking on my part. I went back and had a closer look. Yep! Damn safety lock is there. That makes the price they are asking out of line, IMHO. Safety lock = MIM parts. No way I will pay $1000 for one of these. I love me some S&W revolvers but I will stick to the used real "Classics".

8. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

I have looked at the prices on these guns also and they are way over priced. I dont know what smith and wesson was thinking .

9. vonfatman

vonfatman New Member

I agree they look nice. I'm afraid I'd probably take a pass though...I guess I prefer the older guns like some of the others.

The only way I will buy a S&W with a lock...if I can buy it and re-sell it for a bit of profit.

The only "Classic" without a lock is the M-40. It is being sold without a lock because it's design has an grip safety.

Bob

10. crossfire

crossfire New Member

Don't waste your money on these. You can do much better buying an original "Classic" in VG to Excellent condition and have a revolver that will retain collector value. If you want a "classic" knockoff, buy a Taurus. It'll still have a lock but won't cost you nearly as much.

11. Snubshooter

Snubshooter New Member

Hammerdown, That registered Mag of yours is GORGOUS. Is it one of the FBI guns?

12. WVwheelgunner

WVwheelgunner New Member

I recently read a review of the "Classic" Model 27. The gun'riter brought along an old Model 27, a 27-2 I believe. The new gun shot tighter groups than the old gun.

However, I'd like to know how well the Classics will fare after three decades of use. My 27-2 is tight and smooth, has a case hardened hammer & trigger, and does not have a hole in the side. I'll be damned if I buy a reproduction for what S&W is charging for these things...:mad:
    I like the Model 28-2, as well:[​IMG] This one was made in 1966.

I don't have to tout S&W's old guns - just look at Hammerdown's photos. :D

13. G-Mann

G-Mann New Member

I have the model 19 and like it a lot. When the time comes, will have it reblued in the original fashion. After that I will have a near new gun that can never be purchased new!!

14. Mark F

I own a 629-5 "Classic". No lock on it.

[​IMG]

But if you look close, you can see the lock on my 329PD.

15. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I got a Ruger with an internal lock. All I did was unlock it, re-install the grips and throw away the key. Can you not do that with Smiths? Mine are older. Whats the big deal? :confused:

16. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

They don't make things like they used to....track down an old one and buy what you really want. I know that's what I do and I've never been disappointed. There have been changes made to the "classic" models. I love old S&W revolvers...go back 25-30 years and you start to see revolver gold.

17. Fourbits

Fourbits New Member

S&W Model 24 Classic

I've had a model 24 S&W Classic for a couple on months. 44 Special revolvers are dificult to find at best. I bought it to shoot, not admire.
    It's a duplicate of the 1950 target model. What a joy.
    Fourbits

PS: I also have a Lipsy's Ruger Blackhawk Flattop (44 Special).

18. mag318

mag318 Member

Hammerdown, those are stunning. I think there is nothing like the earlier Smith & Wessons when it comes to fit and finish. I do like the case hardened receivers on some of the newer ones though, very attractive.

19. Hammerdown

Hammerdown New Member

Hello Mag318
    I appreciate your kind words. I admire all my S&W revolvers, But they All get shot plenty Too, I don't have any Safe Queens I just clean them well after using them. Here is a classic a Pre-24 Model of 1950 Forth Variation Hand Eject revolver. It is a Trasitional Model due to it's Larger Mushroom style cylinder extractor head, and The Box shown with it is a Transitional Box as they were left over Box's from the Earlier Model of 1926 Triple Lock .44 special Target revolvers, that S&W simply Placed the Model of 1950 sticker on to use up the existing supply they had of them and a More Modern one a Model 24-3 made in the early 1980's Both .44 Special Caliber...Hammerdown

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I hate you, Hammerdown. :( You've got the coolest toys. There's nothing like those old blued Smiths with wood stock.