S&W Bringing Back Mod 66

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Doc3402, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

If I could only have one centerfire handgun, it would be a 66. Love mine.

3. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I love mine, too. That's one I'll never give up. I doubt the new one will be the same, but here's hoping it's close.

4. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Did he mention the "Hillary Hole"?? :D

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I don't see a Hilary Hole on the gun in the video. That don't mean that the model is released to the public won't have a lock.

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Mr. Deer. Look closely at the hole above and rear of the thumb latch. That is not a fly speck.;):D

7. jasi

jasi New Member

Great revolver!

That was our standard issue when I was on a PD back in the 70's. I went back into USAF and purchased one in Germany while stationed there. I had many Germans who wanted to purchase it from me on the spot when participating in local shooting competitions.

When my wife wanted to get her CCL, she used it to qualify and that was the end of my 66. She's taken over the 'temporary' possession of it. Even used it again to qualify for CCL in another state after we relocated.

8. Clem

Clem New Member

The 66 is a great classic .357 but looking at the numbers, it is only 2 oz. lighter than my 686SSR, so I won't be running out to get one.

9. phildenton

phildenton New Member

If (when) it comes time to replace my 4" Ruger Police Service Six, then the Smith 66 is what I will get. It has the look I like concerning the under-barrel lug, I don't like the look of full lug. I also prefer the look of blued, but stainless is more "durable". Not sure yet how I feel about adjustable vs. fixed rear sight on a carry revolver.

sent from mobile app

10. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Over the years I have carried both the S&W Mod 19 and 66 with adjustable sights and I have never had a problem. I have heard people say they were afraid of the sight snagging, but I never ran into that. Naturally, your body shape and size or your style of clothing may make this an issue for you, but with the proper holster you shouldn't have a problem.

11. Jorgy

Jorgy New Member

S & W Model 66 was my first handgun. I bought it 15 years ago for about 350 bucks. Shoots so smoothly and accurately. Handsome lines and look. It's one of my heirloom pieces.

12. JW357

JW357 New Member

I love my model 66-2. Its my favorite shooter. It has a 2.5" bbl, and I'm incredibly accurate with it.

I'm glad they're bringing it back. Not everyone can always find an older one, and I think buying a new one is just fine if they want one.

13. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

DOC,

That is good news! This weapon along with it's Blued Counterpart the Model 19 has stood the test of time! It is about time they are bringing the War Horse back to the market!
    The 66 was one of the best guns I ever carried on duty as well as the 2.5 inch on my ankle for backup and off duty! Thanks for the Heads Up!
    May have to mow a couple of more yards in the future to afford the habit!!!!:D

14. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

It is about time!!!!!!:D

15. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

It was my pleasure. It's not often we see good news like that, but when we do I love posting it. Now my daughter can have her own 66, because isn't getting mine!

16. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

If you notice the 'new' 66 will have a 4 1/4 inch bbl. Can you say 'Canadian market'????;)
    As I have post many times, if I had to have just one handgun it would be the 66 4 inch!:cool:

17. cohoskip

cohoskip New Member

I have a 1988 SS Taurus model 66. It seems to be a clone of the Smith.
    Shoots well and is very accurate...

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

glad to see S&W bringing this classic back. i have had a model 66 in the past. great pistols.