S&W airweight model 37 38spl ctg

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by running_fool, Mar 19, 2013.

1. running_fool

running_fool New Member

I have someone who wants to sell one in seemingly excellent condition for $120. I know nothing about these guns. Is it worth it? I think it is a few years old it has the external hammer.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Buy it for that price and I will buy it from you for $150.

3. running_fool

running_fool New Member

I take it that is a decent price for that gun

4. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

Not a decent price. A screaming deal.

5. running_fool

running_fool New Member

Is it a decent gun? I have a dozen other makes and models but this gun is the first revolver and first cartrid smaller than a 9mm

6. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Pretty sure .38 Special has a bit "more" thump than 9 mm

Any S&W revolver in good condition is worth that price. The Air Weight line typically run about $200 more than standard S&W revolvers because of the titanium construction... "more expensive metal".

Personally, I like more heft to a pistol... these Air Weights feel like toys to me... but they are an excellent choice for hikers or anyone who needs light weight firepower in a gun that will be carried often, and shot little.

Either way, you could easily double... or possibly triple your money at that price.

Tack

7. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Go to youtube and search something like "inspecting a used revolver", if the forcing cone is not cracked, it's timing is right, thecylinder alignment is propre, there are no noticable cracks or fatigue and the barrel is in good shape, sounds like a really good deal!

Or just make sure you can have a gunsmith inspect it before you're committed to it.

8. running_fool

running_fool New Member

Sweet thanks for the tip!

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Now why did you guys have to tell him that?

.38 Spl has been used for many years before the "wonder" calibers in our police forces and military.

It still is a caliber that can protect one's backside.

10. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

The model 37 has no "titanium construction".
    My EDC is a 37. They are excellent guns. At $120 I would maybe question if it was stolen. Value around here would be $350 or maybe even more.

11. running_fool

running_fool New Member

I now have the gun. He said I could look it over before purchasing. It seems to be well taken care of. I have gone over all the parts. No real signs of wear. Looks squeaky clean. Everything seems to function properly. He claims he is only put 30 rounds through it. He's had it for a few years. He just never use it. I will more than likely finalize the purchase later today. Thank you for your help.

12. running_fool

running_fool New Member

If the seller were not a good friend of mine, I would question the integrity of the sale. However I do believe he purchased it legally. I have no real reason to believe otherwise. I trust this guy, Ive known him for many many years. Thanks though for your concern. I love how we gun lovers watch out for each others best interest.

13. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

This was the first thing I thought ab out when seeing the price. It's like one of those too good to be true type deals. Being he knows the guy and all though....

I've got a friend that would sell guns he bought really cheap like that...If you where a friend.

Did he buy this revo form a FFL or was it a FTF deal?

I have seen those 38's going around 350 used. So it's a hella deal. I would wonder about the guns history all the same though.

Those are nice little revos I used to have a 37 and traded it off back when. I have the 637(-2) now. The size and weight make them great little CCW pieces :)

14. running_fool

running_fool New Member

He was with his brother for the original purchase and then he purchased it off of his brother. It was originally purchased at a local dealer. Seems that I got a DEAL! Now I can't wait to take out for a few rounds!

15. shouldazagged

shouldazagged New Member

Airweights have aluminum frames. If the gun passes the tests of timing, end shake, etc., that $120 price says to me that the seller (a) doesn't have a clue what the hell he has, (b) likes you an awful lot, (c) is in flat-out desperate need of a hundred and twenty bucks, or (d) is in posession of something hotter than a twelve-dollar plasma TV. You be the judge, but I'd damn sure check where he got the piece and how he settled on that price. Today's market for good J-frame revolvers is insane.

Of course, the gun could be a junker as well.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  16. shouldazagged

shouldazagged New Member

17. sarg1c

sarg1c New Member

well just paid $449.00 for a 637-2.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  18. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Congratulations on a very nice revolver. The model 37 is the airweight version of the Mdl 36 chief's Special, which is the standard by which other snubby 38s are measured.

Frame is aluminum alloy, so would not feed this one super duper ++PPP+!+#@!+ loads. A good standard velocity hollowpoint will make a good SD round, and it is not painful to shoot with wadcutter target loads (and surprisingly accurate for a snubby)

19. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Running,

As C-3 stated!
    One thing you need to be aware of! This is a fine little pistol and great to carry. However, they are not designed to endure Hot Rounds like 38 +Ps or +P+ and other hot rounds. They are fine to carry in it for protection but not good to reguraly shoot in the pistol. They will tear it up! Use regaular 38SPC. or 38 SPC.Target Rounds in it to shoot for practice. Of course if I were to carry hotter rounds, I would say only to fire a very few to see where it was hitting on target and then only carry them. You will also notice the recoil with the lighter frame. There ares some great standard velocity 38 SPC rounds out there in the hollow point design that would work well in it. As stated the gun was not designed for a lot of use only for defense.
    But "Man what a great buy"!