S&W 681 .357 Revolver

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by JiroZero713, Jan 11, 2009.

1. JiroZero713

JiroZero713 Active Member

Our family will be purchasing this revolver tomorrow as we are close with the gun shop owners because I have bought 3 guns from them in the past...and spent a helluva lot of cash.

Anyway we are getting one for 355 dollars in cash tax not included.

Any info on these guys? I know it's basically a 4 inch 686 with fixed sights but since we are getting it for so cheap....is there a possible mod? If not it doesn't matter...it's a fun gun for the family to hunt and shoot with maybe.

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

You are correct, it is a fixed sight 686. Good, solid revolver. Check under the crane (the part that swings out and holds the cylinder). If there is no -# (dash number) it is a first run. It should have an "M" stamped there. The 'M" inidicates the factory modified it. The first runs had a problem with the hammer nose (firing pin) bushing and were recalled. No dash number, no "M", it must go back to Smith for the recall.

3. JiroZero713

Coolies. We'll be getting it within the hour. Post Pics later.

4. JiroZero713

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got it....but I'm confused on where to find the thing you mentioned....let's see I see Mod. 681 then in front of the chambers on the crane I see several numbers smacked on top of each other.

The model number is 91578 with SS stamped over it And then there is another number and letter above that B23.

If I have to send it in for my family that is no biggie.

5. robocop10mm

I would contact Smith and see if it is effected by the recall. Looks pretty clean and came with Hogues too! A lead free cloth will take the black off the cylinder face.

6. JiroZero713

I think I have a cloth somewhere in my rifle cleaning kit...Should I use hopes on it to rub it off?

Also...trying to find their number on their website. I'll call em now.

7. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Sweet, nice looking gun. But, are those Batman dolls next to the teddy bears?

8. JiroZero713

Yes there are.

Smith and Wesson told me it does need the mod...so I should check on the 'yoke'

I'm a noob at revolvers so I opened it up and looked every where and I see no M on it so I'm assuming it needs to be recalled.

I'll send it in and maybe Smith'll fix it up for me.

9. robocop10mm

Use the cloth dry. You can also cut patches from it for cleaning lead out of the barrel.
    No dash, no M. It goes to Smith. Unmodified, it is fine w/ .38 spls but mags can flow primer material into the bushing and lock up the action.

10. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Nice buy. Range report?

11. JiroZero713

Eh that's going to be difficult as I'm not to experienced with handguns. What yardage should I do? I'll have to go with my brother to a pistol range since it's in his name and is for the family.

12. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Thats kind of weird getting a firearm for the "family". Its in ONE persons name, right? I know I wouldn't give my brother free access to one of my firearms.

13. JiroZero713

It like my shotgun I bought is strictly for the home. The mother wanted it...the brother wanted it...etc.

They'll be using it to, but yeah it's in my brother's name. I can't buy pistols.

14. JiroZero713

And now...it's broken...well still will work but the stupid me spun the chambers a bit just to check it out...and bam...something must have broke because now the chambers spin even in the locked position.....dammit.

15. robocop10mm

Likely the bolt. The little tit that sticks up from the bottom of the frame and locks the cylinder in position for firing. They generally do not break but can stick. Check the bolt and see if it moves freely. If it does not, it probably just needs to be cleaned. PM for instuctions.

16. JiroZero713

Yes that is what it is....that this isn't locking them at all anymore and it's moving....that's the first thing I noticed after this happened...the little knob right underneath the chambers right?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  17. robocop10mm

18. JiroZero713

Yeah it's stuck....just can't take this damn revolver apart...there is this one really pain in the butt screw...mind giving me that tutorial via PM?

19. JiroZero713

SUCCESS! IT IS REPAIRED! *MANIACLE LAUGH*

IT LIVES!

Thanks to you robo cop and others who helped me....next time I'll know for sure what t do.

20. JiroZero713

Hmm one extra problem though...It may have been there before but I shook the revolver slightly and I hear a rattling in it...not a bad one just faintly...I think it's that metal stick I saw when I took the face plate off...this normal? The stick fell out at one point too.

*edit NVM researched it....the rattle is normal...that stick I mentioned is what it is....just a feature of most revolvers.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009