S&w 66

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by aandabooks, Feb 28, 2012.

1. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Ran into one in .357 today at a new gun shop I stopped in at. It is a police trade-in and is stainless with a bit of holster wear. 4" barrel and they want $425 for it. Locks up nice and tight. Doesn't appear to have been shot much.

What do you all say? Run to buy it or not that great a deal? Not 100% sure I want to add another caliber but have been wanting to add a centerfire revolver. Won't be easy to not add another caliber when all I have is 9mm and .45ACP.

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I would say that it is about the going price. Not a bargain. But a nice gun.

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Orangello posted a link in another thread regarding used/police trade in Smiths for $470. J&G Sales, so $425 sounds like a good price. I would be very tempted.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Revolver prices have gone thru the roof!!! $425 for a used M-66? It was not but a few years ago when they were going for about $200. That's crazy.

Check for "end shake cyinder". Try to move the cylinder fore and aft. There should be the barest perceptable movement. More can be a problem. It is correctable. Also visually look for a sliver of light between the cylinder and the back of the barrel. They should not touch.

5. Olympus

Olympus New Member

$400 would be considered a decent price now. $425 is just okay. Nothing to write home about, but not a gouged price either.

6. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Not a bad price for a good mod.66, could be a little lower, but not bad.
    Go prepaired when looking at used (or even new) revolvers by first reading the article on "How To Buy A Used Revolver" in the "Articles" section. A little knowledge could save you some $$.

Jim......

7. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

All Model 66's are stainless and .357 magnum. As others have said
    &425 is a reasonable price. Another factor is they aren't making them
    anymore. Just be sure to limit the number of 125gr fullhouse loads
    as it can loosen the gun. Good luck.

8. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Well this one is already off the table. Walked into my regular gunshop yesterday and got a smokin deal on a Ruger Mark III Target Model. Going to use it for bullseye at the club I'm a member of. My gun fund is now a little too depleted for a the S&W. Thanks for all the replies and if I run across another I will be better prepared to negotiate on the gun then.

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

GREAT gun-
    So So price -

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Quite a switch :confused:

11. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I'm so far past the point of need when it comes to guns that it is usually just what tickles my fancy at a given moment.

The only guns left on my buy when I find one list are a 16 gauge SxS and a lever action in either 12/20. I might pick up a centerfire revolver in the future but the limiting factor is stocking another caliber. I'd probably be more likely to buy a Ruger Single Six as I already have .22s.

The Ruger Mark III was $200 and i doesn't have a blemish on it. I just couldn't pass it up.