Firearms Talk banner

S&w 66-1?

7K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  jigs-n-fixture 
#1 ·
What kind of info can I get, from the assembled knowledge here, on this piece? Smith doesnt make it easy to track serial numbers.

I came across it at a show recently. The story is that its from the private collection of a deceased KY LEO.

I know its the last of the P&R's. The serial 19XXX. It has some sort of stamp over the serial on the yoke. It is also stamped beside the serial on the butt. There is also another number stamped on the right side, bottom of the butt, different from the serial numbers.

But after that I know nothing...I would like to learn more. I like to have some sort of back story for the orphans that find their way into my (childrens future) collection.

#2 ·
That isn't enough of a serial number to date it. The serial number will be one or two digits, a K, followed by 4 or 5 digits. S&W changed the numbering system a couple of times during the production run of the 66-1.

The 66-1 was produced from 1977 to 1982. It was the last of the 66s with the rebated cylinder, and pinned barrel.

#3 ·
You have provided an assembly number and not the serial number. The assembly number on a 66-1 is found on the yoke, under the yoke on the frame ( also model number marked there) left side of frame at the butt and inside sideplate. The S/N is found on the frame beneath the yoke when closed and on the butt of the pistol, as previously mentioned it will have a K among the numbers...mine is 156K 2345.

#4 ·
You have provided an assembly number and not the serial number. The assembly number on a 66-1 is found on the yoke, under the yoke on the frame ( also model number marked there) left side of frame at the butt and inside sideplate. The S/N is found on the frame beneath the yoke when closed and on the butt of the pistol, as previously mentioned it will have a K among the numbers...mine is 156K 2345.
Aye. Thanks! With that info in hand...

...Serial is 30k15XX on the bottom of the butt...
...there is a number on the right, bottom of the butt that is different from other assembly or serial? Also the stamped number over the assembly number on the yoke and also stamped beside assembly number on butt?

#6 ·
Fmj, You now own one of the finest revolvers ever produced by S&W and every day they are becoming more desirable and pricing is reflected as it climbs out of sight. Today it is not uncommon for a NIB model 19 or 66 to sell on auction for upwards of $1000 (my first duty pistol was a 4" 19 that I paid $82.57 for) and used revolvers to float in the $700-750 range.
SOG is offering used mod 64's for around the $300 mark and with a little cleaning and grip replacement a "poor man's " alternative to the 66 is a fine .38 shooter.
I shoot mostly .38 specials in my K frame pistols and have for the past fifty years, with very little effort they have given stellar performance and shoot as well today. My original 19 was used for Police competition as well as duty for years and untold thousands of rounds before being retired with the adoption of Mod 59 Smiths.

#7 ·
Fmj, You now own one of the finest revolvers ever produced by S&W and every day they are becoming more desirable and pricing is reflected as it climbs out of sight. Today it is not uncommon for a NIB model 19 or 66 to sell on auction for upwards of $1000 (my first duty pistol was a 4" 19 that I paid $82.57 for) and used revolvers to float in the $700-750 range.
SOG is offering used mod 64's for around the $300 mark and with a little cleaning and grip replacement a "poor man's " alternative to the 66 is a fine .38 shooter.
I shoot mostly .38 specials in my K frame pistols and have for the past fifty years, with very little effort they have given stellar performance and shoot as well today. My original 19 was used for Police competition as well as duty for years and untold thousands of rounds before being retired with the adoption of Mod 59 Smiths.
Very nice. Thanks for the info. Having only dropped $400 for the piece with leather holster I would say I did OK. Not that it matters, it will just end up with one of the kids some day...hopefully not too soon. :) Shes definitely a well used piece of equipment...but stainless lends itself well to cleaning up.

Might post up some pictures if I ever get the time to go to the range. I am itching to, not only get out and put the newest member of the family thru its paces and see/feel how it works, but to see how well my hand loads, developed for my 686, run in it.

#8 ·
What is the difference in this revolver and a 65-2?

#10 ·
My Model 66-2 is the gift of a friend who was tired of my tears staining the table near each 66 we would see at a Texas gun show so he scooped it up. Since I was out of state I had to ship it to my FFL and wait for my return to shoot it. I filled the gap with my Model 64-6 DAO that came from SOG for $239. This little gem is in excellent shape and locks up like a bank vault, I opened it up and replaced the hammer assembly with a standard mim unit so I now have a more versitle and super fun shooter in .38 Special. The same friend has a Model 65 round butt 3" barrel that is one of the most accurate little pistols going, after shooting semi autos almost exclusively it is nice to get back to the world of the revolver. They bring back memories of tens of thousands of rounds shot in practice and Police competition so many years ago and have returned to take their place beside my 1911's.

#11 ·
OK. Took me a while but finally got out the range with her. She fondles, points and shoots just like my old 686. So, a new IWB holster and shes my daily driver. I say "old" 686 because I have had it some 18 years or so. Bought it new. The 66-1 is quite a bit older. :)

Swaped out the Bianchi grip it had on it to a Hogue. In the process learned its round butt. From my research, that makes this particular peice a bit more desirable.

Some "as purchased" and "after" a little cleaning. Didnt get too in detail but she cleaned up decent. I'll get more in detail after deer season and freeze up.

Bicycle part Automotive tire Material property Composite material Auto part
Tire Bicycle tire Automotive lighting Plant Automotive tire
Automotive tire Gas Bicycle part Grass Optical instrument
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Automotive exhaust Automotive design
Bicycle handlebar Automotive tire Bicycle part Grass Rim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.