S&w 642

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by WDB, Mar 27, 2011.

1. WDB

WDB New Member

I switched out the stock grips on my S&W 642, went from a 6" group to a 4" group rapid fire five rounds at fifteen feet. Might not seem like much, to me it is it is huge. looking for grip that can bring it into 3". Might need to lighten the SA trigger any suggestions?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Will, I have to be honest when I say that a 4" rapid fire group at 5 yards is damn good shooting with a lightweight snubbie. Lightening the DA trigger on a J frame is more difficult than a K or N frame simply due to the coil vs the leaf mainspring. You can put lighter springs in it but I've always been reticent to do that in a gun that I'd carry...

3. jca1

jca1 New Member

The easiest way to lighten the SA pull on a J frame is to change the rebound spring. Do not change the hammer spring! If I remember right the stock rebound spring is around 18#, I run a 15# in mine and a 14# in my wife's.

4. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

The angle of those grips reminds me of a badger grip for an SP101.

5. Bootsdeal

Bootsdeal New Member

Years ago, a friend of mine told me the best way to fix triggers on revolvers was to dry fire them a whole lot, maybe while watching TV, etc. I've done this on 4 revolvers, both S&W and Ruger. I gotta say, the triggers couldn't be better. Others have said the same thing.

6. jca1

jca1 New Member

I agree that's true for smoothing out the DA pull, but the question was about lightening the SA pull. Changing the rebound spring is the easiest way to do that.

7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The rebound slide spring will lighten your trigger. Just don't go too light as it affects the reliability. And I think you meant DA trigger pull. No SA trigger pull on a 642.

8. jca1

jca1 New Member

Is there a smiley for "DUH", I feel stoooopid!

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Haha. Certainly not the intent, my friend! At least you were not the only one to reference the SA trigger pull.

10. jca1

jca1 New Member

I don't know what's worse, the fact that there is a picture of a 642 on this page or that there is a 642 in my waistband, but neither of them can be fired SA:eek:

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just laughed out loud.:D