S&W 642 J-Frame

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by dslmac2, May 10, 2012.

1. dslmac2

dslmac2 New Member

Anyone have a good pocket holster for a S&W 642 ?
    I would prefer leather, and thin so it fits into pockets of jeans and khaki's. I would like the lip that gets caught on the pocket as your pulling it out also. Mika Holster does not have this I think.
    I have heard about Galco Pocket Pal, but it seems to be discontinued.

image-2117516011.jpg

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I would recommend a remora holster. It's not leather but then again leather isn't really the best material for a holster anyway. No clip required with these.
    http://remoraholsters.com/

3. dslmac2

dslmac2 New Member

These look nice. Do you have one? What size do you have? Looks like I need a size 8. Does it fit nicely into you pockets?

4. CPO15

CPO15 New Member

I have several Remoras, one for a J frame as well; love them but a little too muchmass and a little too "sticky" for me to use as pocket holster.

Take a look at Aholster:

http://www.lefthandholster.com/Pocket_Holster.php

This was purchased as it seemed to add as little bulk as possible. Works in back pocket as well with a cover garment.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  5. dslmac2

dslmac2 New Member

Okay I like this. Seems to be more thin. Kydex should slip into pocket easier too.

6. dslmac2

dslmac2 New Member

Why is leather not the best material for a holster?

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I have both, got the Kydex first and found out just how uncomfortable a plastic, inside the pocket holster can be.

I got the Remora and found comfort and versatility. It carries so well IWB that I find no need to pocket carry anymore.

Have you ever drawn a firearm from your pocket?

Kydex = pocket carry
    Remora = pocket carry +, IWB @ 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 o'clock......I think you get the point.

Here in S Florida the Remora is THE only holster I've found that carries well in a bathing suit. Kydex, not so much.

[​IMG]

Check this out:

SIG Ultra set up, HIGHLY recommend for you too or as I call it, DodgerBlue's Epiphany.

I'd sell you my Kydex holster but I wouldn't do that to a forum member. :(

What I will do is suggest you call Jackie 239-434-7200, tell her what gun you have and let her tell you what options you have.

Tell Jackie canebrake says hi. ;)

8. CPO15

CPO15 New Member

Don't get me wrong: Remora is my absolute favorite for IWB, nothing else is as comfortable. And I only pocket carry when I must. Also, although I don't wear Speedos like Canebrake, I can vouch for Remora in drawstring gym shorts. I just think the Remora is too sticky for Pocket Carry. I have trouble removing the empty holster from a front pants pocket. I do, however, find the Kydex uncomfortable. But no more uncomfortable than any other gun in a leather pocket holster, front or back pocket.

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Most of today's leather holsters are the equivalent of about 200 grit sandpaper. Depending on the tanning method you can remove your gun's finish chemically, not to mention after a hot sweaty day of CCW your gun is swimming in a salty cow-sponge. Other than that they're fine. :rolleyes:

I'm a big Remora fan.

[​IMG]

It's the kindest thing I do to my guns. [​IMG]

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

DeSantis Superfly.

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

See, it doesn't fall out!

12. dslmac2

dslmac2 New Member

Thanks guys! canebrakes your to funny but truthful.
    Well, I wish I would have waited til tomorrow to place an order.
    I was just to interested. This is what I did:

Checked out remora website after it had been mentioned. I liked it and for $30, not bad at all.
    Looked around a little bit more at Galco site, got bored, so I actually ordered the Remora #8 online.
    Checked my email to make sure order went through, then came back to the forum to say I got a remora and saw
    The link to the kydex holster's. They looked thinner and smoother (read a mention about remora sticking) so I ordered the kydex pocket holster, also $30. Emailed remora back to please cancel my order. Hahahahaa they did quickly, but NOW I feel like the remora is a better choice and people like it. I do see where "hard kydex" in your pocket could be uncomfortable. Well I guess I will be like canebrakes and try kydex first then most likely get the remora and then something else, because you can't just have a few holsters, Right? Hahahaha

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Well you've proven you are a true "gun nut" just like the rest of us. You are officially one of the 99%ers. :p

Want to bet that Kydex winds up in the holster drawer?

Give Jackie a call and tell her you made a terrible mistake and ask for forgiveness. ;) I'm sure she will, and give you the same great service she is known for and still ship your holster. I bet if you do it today it beats the Kydex to your door!

14. wayno148

wayno148 Member

Love Remora

But when you have a spare tire seems they tend to climp a bit and make me want to readjust..............Just like spare tire created having to pull pants back up.