S&W 640 .357: holsters for wife?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by CHLChris, Jul 23, 2010.

1. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Hello, all!

Well, we rented a 640 at the range yesterday and my wife loved it. I had my fingers crossed cuz she wants to stat carrying (just entered the paperwork) and I didn't really want a .380 auto in the family. I was really hoping that she'd like the weight of a steel .357. It would be like 2 guns in one. Well, she did and I am so proud (in one year from a fear of guns to wanting to carry!). We'll probably start with Hornady Critical Defense .38spl +p for her and keep a few boxes of .357 around for when we go hiking.

She wants to carry this chunk of steel. Now, for a guy, carry options are really easy. I use a combination of pocket holster, belly band, and Minituck for my Kahr PM9, depending on my wardrobe. But women have a completely different set of issues for carry.

I'm wondering which direction I should lead her as far as holsters go. She will want to carry while she's working in the yard (jeans or shorts with a belt). She'll want to carry to church while dressed up (she doesn't really dig the idea of purse carry...too removed from her control). Probably no matter what, I'll get a custom pocket holster from RKBA Pocket Holsters. But she should have something else, too, something IWB, maybe?

This is a 24-oz wheel gun, which is perfect for her needs of power (more than .380) and recoil control (S&W Airlites or LCR are out of the question). I'm not looking for people suggesting other firearms...not the point for this thread. I'm just thinking of carry options for a woman.

Thanks!

2. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Chris, I though I heard about a site that can help women find the best way to carry. My oldtimer's disease won't let me remember where I saw / read that.
    Good Luck.

4. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

WOW, that was helpful! :)

Hopefully your tidbit will jog someone's memory. Thanks for the stub, danf.

5. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Chris, congratulations on helping your wife to make the choice to carry. The S&W 640 is an excellent handgun.

She's right to avoid purse carry and wanting to keep the revolver on herself at all times. Most concealed carry holsters are designed around the male anatomy, and aren't comfortable for most women to wear. Luckily, there are some companies out there making holsters for female users.

Mitch Rosen (mitch rosen gunleather) offers the "NSP" (Nancy Special) model, designed for women with small guns like a S&W J frame in mind. It rides high so you don't need a long or heavy cover garment.

Kramer Leather (Kramer Handgun Leather - Revolver holsters, concealment holsters, paddle holster, 1911 holster, ankle holster) also has a couple of holsters for women, one of them is an IWB model.

C. Rusty Sherrick offers a few different holster models for ladies. Here's their website:C. Rusty Sherrick - Ladies Holsters

Fist also has a line for women: LADYFIST HOLSTERS

She might need to get a couple of different holsters to cover all the possible wardrobe combinations, perhaps one OWB and one IWB.

Edited to add: This website might have some good tips for you and your wife: http://corneredcat.com/Practical/fashionable.aspx

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Thunder Ranch has a 2 cd set about women and carrying. About $30. Hit their website.