S&w 638-3

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by WDB, May 23, 2010.

1. WDB

WDB New Member

I S&W have been looking for a summer carry pistol. Recently a guy at the range said he has a S&W 638-3 airwieght LINB that he wants to sell for $400. He said he bought it as a light carry pistol but prefered his .380 better. I haven't seen the pistol yet, price seems fair. What do you guys think of the pistol? Anyone have one/shot one?

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

You can get a brand new 638 at Bud's for around $440. I'd say used should be lower than $400.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I would try to talk him lower. I have picked up airweights in the last couple years for about $325.

4. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Anything under $400 is acceptable. $400 is borderline. . .

Remember that buying from Bud's you'll have tax and transfer fees in addition to the price of gun. That'll probably end up about $500 total.

If it's truly LNIB I would definitely consider his offer, especially the lack of paper trail. . . ;)

5. WDB

WDB New Member

Thanks Guys,
    I spoke to the guy on the phone asking if he would take less but he's firm on the price. He had said he bought it new but likes his .380 better, I assumed that he had shot it (I know would have), he told me it has not been shot, I don't see unfired or fired a little being a big difference but I understand why he's holding tight to his price. He did offer to throw in a box of PD ammo and a IWB holster.

Still would like to hear more from those that own one/shot one

6. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

Shot one that a friend owned a few years ago, shot just like any other j frame ive had the liberty to fondle... But its ugly as ****!

7. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I haven't shot that exact model, but have shot many, many Smith and Wesson's, including some from their "Airweight" line as well as plenty of J-frames. Never shot one that wasn't flat out sweet.

You can't go wrong with a Smith.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over buying it @ $400. At least he's throwing in a holster. As I posted earlier, you're still saving the tax and transfer.

Give it a good inspection and if it truly is LNIB, GET IT!

That's just my opinion though. . . :)

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

A good deal is when both buyer and seller walk away happy.

9. Missileman

Missileman New Member

I have an Airweight that I occasionally carry in an ankle holster as a BUG--nice pistol, shoots as accurately as I can with such a small sight radius--I think the gun, ammo, holster is a pretty good deal.

10. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

I guess it depends

I have bought 3 guns and lots of accessories at Buds and Never paid taxes, I did pay transfer fees on the guns though... but never taxes :confused:

11. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I agree $400 is a little much for a used one. I bought mine new for $425.

Actually, I like the looks of mine: :p :p other than the lock!
    View attachment 14833

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  12. WDB

WDB New Member

Thanks Gents,
    I have decided to buy it! I won't be able to meet with the guy until this weekend.

BTW Flint, thanks for the M&P picture with this pistol, I carry a full size M&P 45 most of the time and was looking for something smaller for summer carry. That picture truly help seal the deal along with all the other positive comments, I didn't read anything bad and when it comes to revolvers S&W have always served me well. The only reserve I had was the lock.

13. murraywc

murraywc New Member

I bought one at a local gun shop new just before Christmas they were normaly $449 but were on sale for $399 brand new. I love it.