S&W 629 performance center .44 magnum

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by badasstruck, Nov 14, 2013.

1. badasstruck

badasstruck New Member

I'm seriously looking into a Smith performance center 629(Stealth Hunter). Any feedback on performance center pistols? I own a colt anaconda, but I'm relegating it to the safe. Thanks

2. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I would use the Colt Anaconda up. Hell it will last a life time or two. I have been a die hard S&W guy for 50 years. I only buy S&W pre-key lock actions. Any handgun that has to have a key to start it is not welcome at my house. :rolleyes:

3. badasstruck

badasstruck New Member

I wasn't aware of the key lock. I don't think I would like that!

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

Unless you plan on being a S&W collector, I wouldn't worry too much about buying one with a lock.

You don't NEED to ever use the lock to fire it. Its just a feel-good measure instituted by S&W during the Clinton administration.

It won't affect functionality of the gun. The only reason some people choose not to buy guns with locks is because they're old school Smith guys, or collectors.

All that being said, decently priced Smith performance center guns are relatively rare enough that I recommend buying the first one of the model you want that you find.

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a 4 inch 629. It is a top notch gun. It has the lock. I also have a vintage 586 without a lock. It is a true collectors item. I do not feel that you can go wrong with a S&W revolver. I have three S&W revolvers with locks. They are all three ultra reliable. All three are used for concealed carry by either my wife or myself. I would and do trust my life to them. If you like the gun you should not be afraid to buy it.

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

It is interesting how quickly the S&W "Hillary Hole" has been embraced. It will be a lasting reminder of the Clintons. Yes of course it is just older S&W collectors. It is also a generation who fought against accepting any gun control. We killed the Clintons AWB. Why has S&W maintained the "Hillary Hole".:rolleyes:

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

I'm not saying I agree with the lock at all. I'm saying that's what the modern made guns have, and an older one isn't always available to buy. So my point is buy the gun regardless of if it has a lock.

Oh and the AWB was alive and well from, what was it? '94-'04? How is that "killing the AWB"?

8. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The AWB is gone. It is the gun owners who end up supporting gun control efforts.:rolleyes:

9. JW357

JW357 New Member

Whatever. I'm not getting into this thread drift with you.

OP, you can't go wrong with just about any S&W wheel gun, lock or not.

10. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I agree, let's not drag up old crap. BTW all of my S&W's have that silly lock. It has no ill effect if you opt to not use it. It isn't hardly noticeable either...

This is my favorite key lock S&W:

Attached Files:

11. string1946

string1946 New Member

I have one Performance Center Smith & Wesson and its a very well made handgun. Its a .44 Magnum Hunter Plus. It shoots about as well as I can but so does most other well made guns. I have never scoped it and that would probably help. I don't own a gun with a key lock but if there was a gun I wanted and it had the lock it wouldn't stop me from buying it. I'm not sure who it is at the moment but somebody puts their key hole under one of the grip panels and I would like that better than on the side plate or back of the hammer.

Attached Files:

12. JW357

JW357 New Member

I want to say the Ruger LCR does that, but I could be mistaken.