S&w 5906?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by UrbanNinja, Jan 24, 2012.

1. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Lately ive been considering picking up a somewhat smaller framed 9mm. I normally carry an "officers" sized 1911 .45. I came across a used S&W 5906 at the LGS for $325. I liked the way it felt in my hand, also enjoyed the looks of it. It sort of reminded me of the Colt defender, IMO.

What are some opinions, pros, cons?

2. dogwalk

dogwalk New Member

S&w 5906

I had one for years and liked it very much. An all steel gun and very dependable. A little tricky to disasemble though. Many LEO carried them years ago. Mine had a mag disconnect. They're built like a tank. Sounds like a good buy. Dogwalk

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The 5906 was one of the best handguns S&W ever made. Rock solid, yet heavy. Accurate and reliable. DA/SA trigger is not "cool" now a days. I had one for a while, but let a co-worker talk me out of it. He stil has it and loves it. I would not hesitate to own another.

5904 was the blued/alloy frame version. MUCH lighter.

4. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

I have the stainless 6906 and like it but the Sheriff's Office will not let officers carry high pressure ammo in them as they had some blow up on the range with +P+ Rangers. I opted for the 357Sig for carry instead.

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I just bought a 5906 and like it. As Robo said it's solid, heavy and reliable. Nice 9mm for open carry, a bit of a chunk to try to conceal. It sells lots of places in the $300-350 range, a bargain for a gun of this quality.